Gluten, egg and dairy free cake.....? <groooooan!!>

(16 Posts)
Seminyak Sun 30-Mar-14 19:42:16

I am making some baby shower cakes for my friend's baby shower, only she can't eat gluten, egg or dairy. Last time I baked for her I took an eggless chocolate cake and used GF flour (even though I've always hated the gritty texture of it, eurgh) and Pure margarine instead of butter. It came out fine but still gritty because of the horrid flour.

This time I'm thinking of using a chocolate and almond cake and using vegan and GF chocolate, Pure marg, but what to replace the eggs? I don't want to waste time and money testing recipes so can anyone recommend a substitute (apple sauce/golden syrup etc?) and amounts that will work?

I'm doing a large cake (well probably only 6 or 8") and then some cupcakes too so want cupcakes a different flavour for those. I have an egg free banana bread recipe, which could work, but again I don't want to use GF flour.

I've made black bean brownies in the past which were gorge but don't want everything to be choc. I suppose I'll either do a black bean brownie cake OR a choc almond cake, and then still need the 2nd flavour for the cupcakes.

Last time I made buttercream using Pure marg which was OK but v thin and soooooo sweet! So suggestions for fillings would be ace too.

I am an experienced professional baker but really not interesting in special dietary baking blush so would really appreciate some help!

I know I am asking a lot! WWYD?

Thanks!

Seminyak Sun 30-Mar-14 19:42:55

*interested hmm

Dunwhingin Sun 30-Mar-14 19:44:58

I can't help with a recipe but I just wanted to say that stork in a block is dairy free and it makes a better cake than pure

Good luck flowers you are a good friens

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Sun 30-Mar-14 19:45:05

Can't help with the recipe, but juvela gluten free flour isn't gritty at all, in fact it's more the texture of corn flour.

CMOTDibbler Sun 30-Mar-14 19:51:47

What flour are you using? I use Doves Farm GF SR flour and don't find it gritty at all.

I like the vegan recipes Ms Cupcake has done (I won a book on here) where she uses coagulated soy milk. Really light textured. She uses a mixture of trex and pure for buttercream, which gives a very nice texture. Theres a red velvet cupcake recipe on here, but I've also made the cherry bakewell cupcakes of hers and loved them

Second Doves Farm. Not had a problem with it so far.

May09Bump Sun 30-Mar-14 19:59:10

Use orgran cake mix w

May09Bump Sun 30-Mar-14 20:01:05

Sorry phone playing up. Orgran cake mix either vanilla or chocolate. Use no egg replacer and dairy free olive marg. Works really well.

Seminyak Sun 30-Mar-14 20:01:21

Ooh thanks for the quick replies. Never heard of Juvela, I'll try and find it and give it a go. Always used Doves Farm, which I don't like one bit.

Will also look up Ms Cupcake, thanks!

And thanks for the flowers smile

Seminyak Sun 30-Mar-14 20:02:03

May no egg replacer - do you just mean don't use anything to replace eggs?

Artandco Sun 30-Mar-14 20:05:16

Carrot cake - I replace egg with pear or apple purée. Use double the gluten free raising agent

Banana bread can be made without egg also

The black bean brownies sound good!

crispsanddips Sun 30-Mar-14 20:07:34

Ground flax seed is a great egg replacer. I use it for brownies and cakes and everything else! Very, very easy. Never had a problem with it.

Seminyak Sun 30-Mar-14 20:08:39

crisps thanks! how much ground flax seed = one egg?

Catsmamma Sun 30-Mar-14 20:09:26

Nigella's Venetian Carrot Cake is oil and almonds and presumably would work with an egg substitute

and No Egg is not just not using eggs grin It's an actual thing.

Seminyak Sun 30-Mar-14 20:16:52

hah thanks cats I thought it would be disastrous to just not replace the egg with anything... grin

May09Bump Sun 30-Mar-14 20:43:51

Orgran no egg replacer is great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now