Piping glace icing decoration onto greaseproof paper - anyone any experience?

(4 Posts)

I've been enlisted to make a cake decoration and I think the easiest way would be to pipe it onto greaseproof paper. I've never done this before though; does the icing have to be thicker, so that it's firm enough to transfer to the cake? But not too thick to pipe...

Any advice appreciated thanks

17leftfeet Tue 25-Mar-14 12:10:19

I've done it and you do have to be certain it's completely set before transfer which with thicker icing is an issue

I find piping onto cling film is easier for transfer but it does depend on the design (also means I can lay it over a template, I struggle to see them under parchment)

Ah, cling film is a good idea, thanks smile

I'll be doing it a day or two before it's needed, so it should be fully set (I'll leave it in the fridge).

Edendance Mon 28-Apr-14 15:26:16

No no no! For your own sanity do not try to pipe with glacé icing, and certainly do not try to transfer it! Make a royal icing using with dried egg white powder or fresh egg white and beat icing sugar into it until the right consistency. Pipe with that and do not fridge it.

I've just noticed this thread is old- how did you get on??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now