Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Seasoned bakers help please!

(7 Posts)
MinesaMess Tue 25-Mar-14 11:17:46

Hello, can anyone tell me if it's possible to make a sponge cake 5 days in advance if i cover it in marzipan? And how do i store it?
TIA

A Madeira cake should be fine, as it is a good keeper, but I think anything lighter than that would go stale.

MinesaMess Tue 25-Mar-14 17:01:23

Thanks for that. Madeira it is then. Apparently I have to leave the marzipan to set for a day or two before icing. The cake is for Saturday and I'm off tomorrow but working Thu/Fri. Looks like I'll be baking at midnight!

truelymadlysleepy Tue 25-Mar-14 17:06:11

Could you freeze it, marzipan on friday, ice on saturday?

MinesaMess Tue 25-Mar-14 17:41:30

Can you freeze sponges? How do you stop them going soggy when defrosting and how long to defrost?

Midori1999 Wed 26-Mar-14 07:54:31

If you're using fondant to cover the cake you can just marzipan and then ice it immediately. You only need to leave the marzipan to dry if you're using royal icing.

I wouldn't want to eat a 5 day old cake, although Madeira is dry anyway.... grin I would also freeze it if there really was no way of making it closer to the time.

MinesaMess Wed 26-Mar-14 09:12:10

Ok, thanks that makes things easier. I've decided I'm going to bake sponges today and freeze, marzipan Fri night and ice Sat morning. Sounds simple enough, we'll see!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now