Sticking icing shapes on to fondant icing

(11 Posts)
lovecake Mon 24-Mar-14 20:51:00

What is best to use to stick some cut out fondant flowers to the side of an iced (fondant) cake?

As it is on the sides, I think it will need to be strong to prevent the shapes slipping down...

I was thinking of egg white/runny icing...?

Tia

Ratfinkle Mon 24-Mar-14 20:53:18

I just paint some water on thinly with a brush, unless they are particularly heavy shapes I think it will do the trick.

MaureenMLove Mon 24-Mar-14 20:53:40

You could use egg white on a tiny paint brush or you could buy edible glue. It's much the same though. You need the smallest amount, because as soon as either surface becomes wet, it gets sticky.

Ratfinkle Mon 24-Mar-14 20:54:33

Ps that's if the shapes aren't dried- if they are you will need icing sugar and egg white.

lovecake Mon 24-Mar-14 20:59:04

I was planning to prepare the shapes the day before so they will be dry. Good tip for icing sugar and egg white, I will try that.
Thank you.

LizzieMint Fri 28-Mar-14 12:06:40

You don't need egg white, just a bit of water should do. Raw egg is not the best thing to have on the side of a cake really.

I've always done it with water. If need be, you can prop the shapes in place with a cocktail stick until they dry.

AuntFlossy Sat 29-Mar-14 10:13:56

Don't use egg white! You shouldn't be putting raw egg onto a cake that will be eaten! Either use a small amount of water (not a lot as it will slide) and allow to go tacky before sticking on or make a batch of royal icing using merry white and icing sugar. Add only a small amount of water so it turns into stiff peaks.

Stillcomingtoterms Wed 02-Apr-14 21:16:00

If you need something stronger than water you can melt a bit of the fondant with warm water to make a gloup, that is similar to sugar glue.

Ratfinkle Fri 04-Apr-14 11:51:51

Just so people don't think I was trying to poison the OP, this is where I got my info from!

Maybe I should have been more explicit and said make royal icing out of icing sugar and egg white. You can also buy powdered egg white which I use for smaller quantities to avoid using a whole egg.

It's from a book called sweet and simple party cakes by May clee cadman but I think its a fairly accepted method for making royal icing allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6350/royal-icing.aspx

LizzieMint Fri 04-Apr-14 21:27:30

Royal icing is fine, but egg white on its own was also suggested. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now