Ideas for school bake/cake sale please?

(13 Posts)
HahaHarrie Mon 24-Mar-14 17:29:26

It is school cake sale day again what can I make that is easy and edible?

I'm not a baker so my previous cup cake offerings have been a challenge to make and not exactly delicious.

thanks

Rocky road? That was nice and very easy when I made it last time for a cake sale. (Though I did put in too much dark chocolate - I should have done a mixture of plain and milk chocolate).

HahaHarrie Mon 24-Mar-14 21:55:31

Thank you - great idea.

CorrieDale Mon 24-Mar-14 22:02:36

Maltesers cake is absolutely tremendous and so easy. I can't do links in my phone but if you google it you'll find the recipe.

Buttercup27 Mon 24-Mar-14 22:06:10

Chocolate nests - mix shredded wheat with melted chocolate and leave to set in cake cases in the fridge. Add mini eggs and tada easter themed cake sale cake.
At other times of the year rice crispy cakes!

Yum yum yum

I just made some shortcake biscuits (butter sugar flour)In an egg shape and decorated them to look like easter eggs (sprinkles, mini smarties, jelly tots abd tubes of icing you can draw with) They look amazing [smug]

prettybird Mon 24-Mar-14 22:21:38

Marshmallow top hats go down well with kids at the Minis' Rugby Club cake stall. Melted chocolate into baby fair cake cases (or even just spooned onto baking parchment) then a marshmallow, then a small dod technical word of chocolate on top onto which you stick a smartie or a jelly tot.

If you're up to easy baking, the chocolate chip cookie recipe on Mumsnet is easy and very popular. Make at least double. I use more chocolate than suggested, and a mix of white, dark and milk chocolate chopped up rather than bought chocolate chips. The double chocolate gooey biscuits are also good.

Midori1999 Tue 25-Mar-14 08:22:44

I find carrot cake and/or anything covered in icing and sweets is popular. It's all about how it looks.

The problem with things like rocky road is the cost of making them is always much higher than cake bakes sell them for.

If I were you I would buy some cheap un iced cupcakes from Tesco and then decorate with simple icing or melted chocolate and lots of sprinkles or sweets.

SunnyRandall Tue 25-Mar-14 09:15:06

Nigella's malteaser tray bake is DIVINE but not cost effective once you have bought ten tonnes of malteasers.

Nice though and dead easy.

sausagefortea Tue 25-Mar-14 11:38:07

I make fairy cakes using an all in one method - which if you have an electric hand whisk cannot go wrong! Just same recipe as usual fairy cake recipe 100g each self raising, butter/marg, sugar, 2 eggs plus 1 tsp baking powder (or take out a tbsp or so of flour and replace with cocoa powder for choc cakes). Whizz for 3 minutes until it's all combined and starts looking more shiny. Plop in at 180c 15-20 mins.

Buttercream topping...not hard especially with the electric whisk again, but you can cheat and buy betty crocker choc fudge buttercream icing. Dollop on top with a few smarties, mini eggs, mini fudge pieces etc).

Or Rice Krispie cakes always go down quite well.

prettybird Tue 25-Mar-14 12:16:06

On our Minis' rugby club cake stand, we've found we can sell for more if you present it nicely. Take the donations out of the plastic containers they arrive in and put them on to pretty plates.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now