Proper delicious brownie recipe?

(16 Posts)
NoNoNoNoNoYabu Sat 22-Mar-14 13:11:00

I've tried a few different recipes for brownies but have still never been able to replicate the odd few I have had in naice restaurants.

Not a thick slab of slightly undercooked chocolate cake with fashionable extras. I want a plain, dark, slight gooey brownie with that nice crust on the top.

I'm beginning to think the chefs are keeping it a secret, can anyone help?

MikeLitoris Sat 22-Mar-14 19:15:48

Try searching the recipes bit on here for suzywongs brownies.

Never fail for me.

In fact I need to do some of these tomorrow now I'm thinking if these.

Parliamo Sat 22-Mar-14 19:19:13

This reminds me I used to make tasty brownies. Delia recipe. Must try it again sometime.

Catsmamma Sat 22-Mar-14 19:24:51

Laura in the Kitchen Fudgy Brownie recipe.....HERE is very lovely

I use muscovado sugar rather than white sugar

Also if you want to make a NICE version of the cream egg brownies then use this recipe and 4-6 creme eggs, either bash them and drop them into the mix when it is in the tin, or cut them in half and set them into the batter before baking.

Magmar Sat 22-Mar-14 19:28:51

Following smile

nobutreally Sat 22-Mar-14 19:32:02

The nigella recipe is pretty fabulous.

littleomar Sat 22-Mar-14 19:34:11

The Nigel slater recipe from the first kitchen diaries

Actually I think I'll make some now, I need cheering up

I'd heard the Nigella ones were good. Also Pret a Manger are supposed to be gorgeous but I've never made them.

WildThong Sat 22-Mar-14 19:35:13

There's a Cadbury Creme egg recipe in the Lidl Easter magazine that look amazing, but not for the faint hearted grin. Can you get one of them? If not I'll post it.

LadyPeterWimsey Sat 22-Mar-14 19:37:01

My best recipe at the moment is Mary Berry's Dark Indulgent Chocolate Brownies - but I only put half the amount of coffee in.

DH prefers it when I bake Gordon Ramsay's Blondies are better though -cranberry and white chocolate.

TacitusMouse Sat 22-Mar-14 20:01:58
Fairylea Sat 22-Mar-14 20:04:11

Betty crockers brownie mix is the best I've ever had. I can never make them from scratch anywhere near as good smile (and I bake a lot!)

Buchanon08 Mon 24-Mar-14 17:15:28

I don't have the recipe to hand but the Hummingbird bakery raspberry cheesecake brownie has a simple brownie layer that I just bake on it's own!

somewheresomehow Fri 28-Mar-14 14:44:37

how about triple choc brownies, these will get devoured very quickly if your house is anything like mine smile
www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/triplechocolatebrown_7685

LizzieMint Fri 28-Mar-14 15:19:53

Try googling for best ever brownies - there's a cookery series in the guardian which is best ever...and the writer tries out loads of recipes and takes the best bit of each to make the best recipe. The brownie one she comes up with is pretty fab - slightly chewy crust (which comes from beating your eggs) and fudgy inside without being too dense.
Hungry now.

AlpacaPicnic Fri 28-Mar-14 23:28:29

Here is my recipe that never fails unless you accidentally set your oven to grill like I did once

Melt together 250g of butter and 400g of dark chocolate, and in a seperate bowl, whisk together 250g of dark muscovado sugar and 3 large eggs.

Pour the melty chocolate into the egg/sugar mix and stir together, then fold in 85g of plain flour and half tsp of baking powder until all combined.

If you like at this point, you can stir in some vanilla extract, or some orange zest, or a splash of liquer to add some flavour. Sometimes I stir in some chopped up white chocolate, or some white chocolate buttons if I'm feeling lazy!

Pour into a lined baking tray and bake for 30ish minutes, at 180c until the top is cooked but there is still a bit of wobble to it. This depends on your oven of course!

Leave to cool in the tray, overnight is good, then cut into quite small pieces and eat them all yourself quickly in case someone else wants to share!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now