New food processor/standalone mixer - which one?

(9 Posts)
sergeantmajor Fri 21-Mar-14 19:13:39

Hooray, my 15 year old Magimix has died, meaning I can now buy a spanking new replacement. I always hankered after a standalone mixer thing with a big silver bowl, a la Nigella. I make a lot of cakes, bread and pureed stuff.
Any recommendations?

MothershipG Fri 21-Mar-14 19:24:49

Kenwood Chef, I have the Titanium which includes a small processing attachment so it covers all bases.

I love it, practical, hardworking, attractive, what more could you want?

Worth every penny!

BananaPie Fri 21-Mar-14 19:35:14

Not sure I quite get the point of standalone mixers - they take up a lot of space on the side! I have a food processor for chopping veg, making pastry etc, and a handheld electric whisk for making cakes, whipping cream etc. Both live in the cupboard and come out only when needed. Also, does the standalone mixer actually chop? Or just mix?

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Fri 21-Mar-14 19:52:00

I have the same as bananapie, don't have the space for a stand alone mixer and think it would just need dusted all the time, even thou I would probably use it a lot. And would really like one,
But I love my food processor, i have a mini one as well that attaches to my hand blender. Use that all the time.

MoreBeta Fri 21-Mar-14 19:56:20

Heavy duty food processor every time and a really good hand held mixer/blender for small jobs.

Food mixer is not necessary really. I make dough for bread in a breadmaker. They all pack neatly away in a cupboard. Food mixers are so heavy and take up lots of space - unless you have a really big kitchen.

StainlessSteelCat Fri 21-Mar-14 20:19:22

Another Kenwood Chef fan here - also have the Titanium. I don't have a bread maker or a separate food processor, only other equipment I do have is a stick blender. It does indeed take up some space, but then so would the separate machines, so that's not an issue. I wouldn't buy one if I already had a processor, blender, hand held mixer or bread maker, but it does do all of those jobs (well, except cooking the bread) and is built to last - my previous one was third hand and about 40 years old when it finally died.

MothershipG Sat 22-Mar-14 09:52:44

Exactly what Stainless said, one piece of kit to mix, process and knead! I prefer my bread cooked in an oven and I don't often want a loaf tin shape, more rolls and rustic bread here.

One of the other great things about a stand mixer is that if the bread needs kneading for 5 mins or the egg whites will take ages you don't have to stand there holding your hand mixer wondering if the motor is going to give out.

bruffin Sat 22-Mar-14 10:04:31

Food processors are no good for cakes and meringues.
I just bought the Bosch MUM461a which was brilliant value for £75 but that was on special. Its a stand mixer but can juice, liquidize and slice and you can get other accesories that can chop or make ice cream.
There is another more expensive Bosch that comes out top in Which , mine come out better than all the Kithenaids and better than a lot of the Kenwoods

sergeantmajor Sun 23-Mar-14 07:12:07

Really good tips, thanks. I am only just realising that most of those lovely round-bowled machines are giant mixers rather than processors as well - so big but do so little! Looks like the Kenwood or Bosch mentioned here could be the ideal, combining both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now