Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

pink cupcakes

(9 Posts)
SmileAndNod Fri 21-Mar-14 15:13:03

I have been asked by DD to produce some pink cup cakes for a party (not sure if she means actual cake or icing). Any idea how to do this? Is it a case of adding some colour paste to the mixture, or could I flavour with strawberry or raspberry maybe? Am a bit clueless really so any ideas welcome thanks

Tinkerball Fri 21-Mar-14 15:16:10

You can add pink paste to the icing or the actual sponge mix itself, the pastes are miles better than the liquids you get in the shops. Something like this.

Tinkerball Fri 21-Mar-14 15:16:58

Only add a little at a time until you get the shade you want!

SmileAndNod Fri 21-Mar-14 15:59:53

Thank you. Will that colour buttercream too? I did find some betty Crocker strawberry icing in a tub in the supermarket, or some in a tin with a nozzle but wondered if they were any good. Have lots to bake, including these cup cakes, so want to make things as easy as possible.

Tinkerball Fri 21-Mar-14 17:53:26

Yes it will only take a tiny amount to colour the buttercream, I use sugarflair colours all the time. Home made butter cream is so much nicer than shop bought - just mix 175 unsalted butter with 300g sifted icing sugar, spoonful at at time with a teaspoon of vanilla paste and then when its all pale and creamy and mixed add a little food paste on the end of a cocktail stick and mix till you get the pink you want. You can make it in advance and keep it in the fridge, just bring it back to room temperature first before using.

SmileAndNod Fri 21-Mar-14 19:53:20

Thank you. Have ordered that paste from the link. How long will the cream keep in the fridge?

I also need to make some cream cheese icing for carrot cake, is it the same ratios but with half butter / half cream cheese. I made it before but I think I guessed the quantities. Really need to get a book rather than making it up as I go along blush

17leftfeet Fri 21-Mar-14 20:01:07

When I make pink cupcakes I generally add some strawberry flavouring too

SmileAndNod Fri 21-Mar-14 20:15:35

this kind of thing?

sleeplessinderbyshire Tue 08-Apr-14 22:11:44

I have discovered that using blood orange juice to make water icing gives a perfect small girl shade of pink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now