Really tasty low fat/sugar cake recipe please

(12 Posts)

Hi. I have decided that my family eats far too many biscuits. I want to make the healthiest cake possible to offer as an alternative. I found one great recipe on the internet, then promptly forgot where it was. I have subsequently tried a couple of awful ones. Please share any really healthy, easy recipes you may have.

A very easy one.
Preheat oven to 180 degrees

3 eggs
1 yoghurt of your choice
1 yoghurt measure of oil ( I use olive but other oils are Ok)
2 yoghurt measures sugar
3 yoghurt measures flour
1 sachet baking powder
Grated rind of 1 lemon

Beat eggs with sugar until thick and creamy, gently mix in the yoghurt and oil. Fold in the sifted flour and baking powder. Add grated lemon rind.
Grease and flour baking tin. Pour in cake batter and place mid shelf in preheated oven. Cook for 30-40 mins. Test with skewer to check it's done.
When cold you can dust with icing sugar.

You can separate the eggs and beat the whites until stiff then fold in.In that case you'd use 1 teaspoon baking powder

A grated apple and a bit of cinnamon can be added to the mixture.
Or chocolate chips and orange rind instead of the grated lemon

I usually use plain greek yoghurt but flavoured ones may be used

Seven, been really frantic recently so missed this ... sounds really interesting and easy; will definitely try it!
Is one sachet baking powder the same as one tsp? I only have a large tub of it.

CMOTDibbler Sat 22-Mar-14 18:58:54

I've made this carrot cake a few times and it is lovely low fat carrot cake

hugoagogo Sat 22-Mar-14 20:10:10

These banana cookies are brilliant and are gluten free too so I always whip them up for my dm when she comes over it saves faffing with GF flour.

Hi CMOT; just found the jodhpurs that CMOTiddler sent Wriggle many moons ago! Was just thinking about you all this afternoon ...

CMOTDibbler Sat 22-Mar-14 20:19:16

How are you all?

Parliamo Sat 22-Mar-14 20:20:14

A tentative suggestion for scones? The problem I suppose is what you put on them!

CMOT, I keep off the elderly parent thread as I can't cope with it, but from what I have seen in passing, things have been tricky for you. Lots of sympathy. We are as well as can be expected and Wriggle has finally grown and can no longer wear the jodhpurs!
Parliamo, I love scones ... but, as you say, I don't think we'd eat them without butter and cheese and jam and honey and and ....

CMOTDibbler Sun 23-Mar-14 21:09:27

Does Wriggle need more jods? We have many as ds never bloomin stops growing!

Sh'd love it and could send something in return ... Something Eastery? She didn't grow more than imperceptibly up until Christmas and has now moved from 3-4 clothes straight into age 7. I keep buying the wrong thing because I can't believe it ..
Now dreaming of scones ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now