cakeometer app

(4 Posts)
stopthenoise Thu 13-Mar-14 10:01:49

It's not available on android, is there a similar one? I am looking for an app that I can use to adjust cake recipes. I have a sponge recipe that I love but would like to be able to use it for different sized cakes. TIA

I've never thought of an app to work out cake sizes. I just use basic maths. 7" square cake is 49 square inches. 7" round cake is 38.5 square inches (Pie R squared). Therefore Multiply up the round recipe by 1.3 (ish) for quantities. You need to be careful on eggs, but work on egg weights and switch from medium to large if necessary (here)

stopthenoise Thu 13-Mar-14 20:07:05

Thank you smile Baking is fairly new to me and I didn't know how much to adjust the recipe by for different sizes.

Timings may vary, of course, if you are using very different quantities from the original recipe, and if you go too large, you will have to make sure that you get the heat in to the middle of the cake (use a cake cone or bake smaller cakes and join them up under the icing).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now