Idea's for 5yr Boy birthday cake

(19 Posts)
Clutterbugsmum Mon 10-Mar-14 15:09:04

As per titled of thread.

Has anyone got any idea's for a great idea's for a cake.

I'm a pretty confident cake maker, not so much on the decorating side.

Although I do want to get better at this both using butter icing and fondant.

abear Mon 10-Mar-14 15:14:09

What does he like? I have two boys and have done swimming pool, train, life ring, moon, racing track, plain number decorated with sweets and camp fire. If he has a favourite character, toy or interest and you google it there are usually really good ideas with guides on how to do it.

Clutterbugsmum Mon 10-Mar-14 16:02:25

See that's the problem, he likes whatever in his hand at that moment, then as soon as he moves onto something else. He has the concentration span if a knat grin.

I'm toying with this volcano cake

Does he like Cars?

I made this for ds' 2nd birthday last year. He loved it!

Clutterbugsmum Mon 10-Mar-14 20:33:50

Unfortunately he doesn't. But thanks

NorbertDentressangle Mon 10-Mar-14 20:40:19

How about a minion cake if he's a fan of Despicable Me?

nannycook Mon 10-Mar-14 22:27:53

Clutter, on the link that Norbert sent you, the 8th minion in is one I'm making for tomorrow, its one of the easier types, just simple round cake then decorate as picture, have a go.

nannycook Mon 10-Mar-14 22:28:22

Clutter, on the link that Norbert sent you, the 8th minion in is one I'm making for tomorrow, its one of the easier types, just simple round cake then decorate as picture, have a go.

Anniecarrieson Mon 10-Mar-14 22:34:30

I made this for mine

Anniecarrieson Mon 10-Mar-14 22:36:10

Have you ever done a Jane Asher sweetie train cake?

Anniecarrieson Mon 10-Mar-14 22:38:37

This is what I am attempting next, for my Dad's birthday, wish me luck! cakecentral.com/g/i/1618252/tag/snake/sort/display_order/

noblegiraffe Mon 10-Mar-14 22:46:06

Pirate ship cake? They are quite easy to construct, lots of instructions on the internet.

NorbertDentressangle Tue 11-Mar-14 09:18:35

noblegiraffe has reminded me of an easy yet effective one I made for DS - a pirates treasure chest.

I seem to have broken google images (hmm) otherwise I'd show you some pics. They look great though as you can have all sorts of treasure spilling out including chocolate gold coins, fake jewellery etc

BeaWheesht Tue 11-Mar-14 09:23:43

Ones I've made in the past....

Pirate ship cake
Castle cake (grey fondant with portcullis but essentially same as the many princess castle cakes you see)
Treasure chest cake - very easy, lots of sweets in the top, Demerara sugar round the base as sand
Secret agent cake (rectangle cake iced to look like a briefcase with TOP SECRET labels etc etc)

BeaWheesht Tue 11-Mar-14 09:26:04

http://lincstolondon.wordpress.com/2012/12/16/making-a-pirates-treasure-chest-cake-from-scratch/

This is a bit like what I did but with sweets and gold coins spilling out

BeaWheesht Tue 11-Mar-14 09:26:23
BeaWheesht Tue 11-Mar-14 09:29:13

This is very like the one I did

Opheliabumps Tue 11-Mar-14 09:29:49

Batman? Made this for DS 4th birthday.

chattychattyboomba Tue 11-Mar-14 13:08:43

My aunt recently made her GS a dump truck cake. Toy dump truck spilling 'dirt' (chocolate maltesers) onto the road (chocolate cake). Clever. Simple.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now