Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

HELP PLEASE **How to make fondant shiny - is it safe to use egg white brushed over the top?

(21 Posts)
FiaGrace Sat 08-Mar-14 12:44:18

That's it really. I covered a cake in fondant but I had no idea how to make it shiny. I used egg white as it's simply a practice cake and no one is going to be eating it.

Out of interest, would it be safe to eat though (in terms of the egg) and if not, what do you use instead?

TIA

PseudoBadger Sat 08-Mar-14 12:46:17

Vodka.

FiaGrace Sat 08-Mar-14 12:48:02

Oh really? Wow - I didn't know that. Thank you

PseudoBadger Sat 08-Mar-14 12:48:26

It evaporates off and stays shiny.

MikeLitoris Sat 08-Mar-14 12:52:09

I steam it. I use the iron. Just do it from quite far away in case it drips.

FiaGrace Sat 08-Mar-14 12:53:19

Thank you. I had wondered about steaming but was worried Id over do it and it'd end up too wet.

mablemurple Sat 08-Mar-14 13:02:18

no no no no no!!! You need to polish it with your hands! Once you've covered the cake, with clean, dry hands lightly rub the sugar paste all over as if you were polishing it. It will soon become smooth and shiny, at which point stop polishing!

FiaGrace Sat 08-Mar-14 13:09:12

Mable thank you but how do I make the small(er) decorations shiny as well as the main body of the cake using the polishing method?

mablemurple Sat 08-Mar-14 13:22:12

never felt the need to do that myself, but you could always polish the paste before cutting it out, or very gently polish it with a finger.

MikeLitoris Sat 08-Mar-14 14:42:46

I wouldn't risk touching my flowers or butterfly's once they are on a cake! I'm clumsy they would definitely break.

I've gota tiny brush that I sometimes use for little details.

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Sat 08-Mar-14 14:46:47

I'm going to ask a really simple question... Why do people want it look shiny?

FiaGrace Sat 08-Mar-14 14:49:10

Thank you all.

I wasn't going to make it shiny but it looked really 'dull' and I felt it needed something extra.

MikeLitoris Sat 08-Mar-14 16:21:43

I've never seen a really shiny cake. I steam mine if I've had to use more cornflour than normal (black and red icing is a bitch to roll)

Sometimes a quick brush with a barely damp brush is sometimes enough.

nannycook Sat 08-Mar-14 17:50:12

Was wondering myself why it needed to be shiny too.

Littlefish Sat 08-Mar-14 17:52:27

I agree withmable - I just polish the icing with my hand when it's on the cake. It goes beautifully shiny.

tabulahrasa Sat 08-Mar-14 17:52:31

Steaming works. Lustre spray works. Polishing works for the cake but not the decorations.

Midori1999 Tue 11-Mar-14 15:57:03

If you want it really shiny then use edible glaze or glaze spray. I wouldn't do it for a 'normal' cake, but I've used it on a playstation cake (it might be on my profile) and on an apple on a twilight cake to give a more realistic effect.

nannycook Tue 11-Mar-14 22:47:55

Try confectioners glaze, its makes things Lovely and shiny, Just used it on a drum kit I'm making.

elsielegallez Sat 15-Mar-14 21:49:31

Yes, I was going to suggest a lustre spray too.

MadMonkeys Sat 22-Mar-14 09:43:13

Use trex. It's fab. You can use it instead of icing sugar when rolling out icing and it prevents the icing from drying out and cracking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now