Ready made icing

(5 Posts)
papalazaru Mon 03-Mar-14 16:05:55

I've foolishly agreed to making ice cream cone cupcakes for a bake sale this week. Is there a ready made icing which comes ready to pipe into a sort of Mr Whippy style - which actually tastes nice? The last one I got came in a tin and was fairly easy to decorate with but tasted yuck. I know I could make my own but I'm not very skilled with a piping bag!

nannycook Mon 03-Mar-14 16:23:45

Papa, even without piping skills you could still make your own buttercream, sooo much nicer than that awful stuff you buy in supermarkets, its only butter and icing sugar whipped up for 10mins or do til light and fluffy, give it a go.

papalazaru Mon 03-Mar-14 17:39:23

Thanks Nanny. I agree that real buttercream is sooooo much nicer than shop bought stuff. I just don't know how to pipe it so it looks like a Mr Whippy!! Do I need to buy and bag and nozzle and get practicing??

nannycook Mon 03-Mar-14 22:11:42

Yep, don't be nervous just get in there and have a go, everyone has to start somewhere, buy the bigger type nozzles for piping big swirls, like an open star nozzle, start around the outside and swirl til round up in the middle, easy honestly.

MikeLitoris Tue 04-Mar-14 14:45:53

Agree with Nanny. The biggest nozzle you can find.

I use the lakeland ones (£11 a set iirc) or I got some amazon that were supposed to be for piping mashed potato. They were only a few £.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now