Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Calling pro cake makers...

(25 Posts)
Seminyak Sat 01-Mar-14 19:07:44

...How long do you reckon it would have taken you to decorate this cake?

- colouring sugarpaste
- covering 6" dummy (ugh, hate them, see all the tears!)
- twizzly drapes
- bows
- making flowers and leaves - all thinned and ball-tooled except the tiny blue ones. Leaves hand formed. Big white flowers made by hand ie no cutter
- making royal icing
- beading round bottom
- sticking flowers on and piping centres
- silver paint dots and painting centres of white flowers

Think that's it.

Just trying to work out how slow I am in general. Have a bit of a complex due to horrid ex-boss. Took me 4 hrs 15 mins which I thought was ok but looking at the list above it seems like a long time.

Will post a side-on pic now.

Seminyak Sat 01-Mar-14 19:09:38

Can't decide if it's hideous and frilly or quite cute. Think I'm leaning towards hideous!! grin

Seminyak Sat 01-Mar-14 19:12:08

DH had just got home and called it fuddy duddy haha grin

nannycook Sat 01-Mar-14 20:02:36

It depends if you made the flowers before hand as I do then its just assembling etc, covering,sticking flowers on, why are you trying to work out how long you spent to how much to charge?

Seminyak Sat 01-Mar-14 20:42:57

No I just want to know if I'm a fast decorator or slow or what on average. I didn't make the flowers in advance, the list above is everything I did in the 4hrs 15 mins.

Seminyak Sat 01-Mar-14 20:54:18

Was just wondering how fast I am compared to others really, that's all. Making this cake got me thinking that if my old boss was here she'd have been scowling about how slow I was hmm

nannycook Sat 01-Mar-14 22:12:00

Does it matter? Surely you take as long as it takes,I make cakes to sell,, I work fulltime also and I make mine when I get home and it takes as long as it takes.

MikeLitoris Sat 01-Mar-14 22:18:07

I'd say 4 hours was about right.

I covered and decorated a Minnie Mouse cake this morning in about 2 hours but that was just a few bows and about 20 small flowers. No leaves or twiddly bits.

Seminyak Sat 01-Mar-14 23:41:43

Nannycook that's my view too. I'd much rather do something properly rather than quickly. I'm just wondering, don't worry about it.

Seminyak Sat 01-Mar-14 23:42:42

Ace thanks Mike smile

nannycook Sun 02-Mar-14 07:31:33

I don't like the sound of your old boss one bit, why did she scowl at you for taking as long as you do? I wouldn't like to work under that pressure, its bad enough getting it right without something looking over your shoulder, grrr.

Seminyak Sun 02-Mar-14 14:26:31

Hah thanks smile glad I wasn't being unreasonable. She was crazy and the business has now closed.

If I was in her position I'd have turned work down and said we were fully booked rather than rushing through 10 novelty cakes every day...

Coconutty Sun 02-Mar-14 14:31:31

That looks great, I want to eat it all.

nannycook Sun 02-Mar-14 17:26:11

10 cakes every day? Blimy Charlie, how many staff did she have then?

nannycook Sun 02-Mar-14 17:30:28

I do find it hard to put a time on my cake as most of the time I start things a week earlier if I have spare time, I.e making models, flowers, etc, actual covering covering the cakes attaching things doesn't take that long but saying that I do like to leave a cake to harden, so much easier to work with.

MikeLitoris Sun 02-Mar-14 18:11:18

Ideally I would do the same as you Nanny but people seem to like ordering cakes last minute! Especially a pain when things need to dry out.

nannycook Sun 02-Mar-14 20:25:18

Mike do you work? Do you find it hard to juggle everything? Ideally want enough cakes 3 weekly so I could possibly go partime, don't have any this week, had 3 last week and week before, grrr its never consistent enough.

MikeLitoris Sun 02-Mar-14 21:05:07

Yep, work pt but have 3 DC (13,9&3yo)

I try to keep to 1 cake a week but I do find I seem to get loads of orders at once then a few weeks without. Tbh I don't advertise myself ( no fb page or anything) so have no idea if I could make a go of it or not. I only really do things for family/friends ATM so I don't actually make any money on it.

nannycook Sun 02-Mar-14 21:18:10

This my bird cage cake Mike, thought you'd like to see it.

MikeLitoris Sun 02-Mar-14 21:21:17

Well done Nanny! I'd love to have a go at one but need to practice a for bit first!

nannycook Sun 02-Mar-14 21:27:13

Oddly enough Mike, it actually wasn't that bad, just gotta get the shape right then its decorating it, I used a clay gun for the lines so much easier.

Seminyak Mon 03-Mar-14 09:23:24

That's great nanny I really love it smile

Normally there were 2 people in kitchen 1 in office.

As I have you two here - I'm setting up on my own at the mo and want to check I've done everything legally! Do I need anything else other than:
Register premises
Food safety certificate
Registered as a sold trader
Public liability insurance??

It seems too simple hmm

Seminyak Mon 03-Mar-14 09:24:34

*sole trader

nannycook Mon 03-Mar-14 16:26:15

Nope think all is covered. Good luck on your own.

Seminyak Mon 03-Mar-14 17:41:25

Thanks nanny!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now