Calling pro cake makers...

(25 Posts)
Seminyak Sat 01-Mar-14 19:07:44

...How long do you reckon it would have taken you to decorate this cake?

- colouring sugarpaste
- covering 6" dummy (ugh, hate them, see all the tears!)
- twizzly drapes
- bows
- making flowers and leaves - all thinned and ball-tooled except the tiny blue ones. Leaves hand formed. Big white flowers made by hand ie no cutter
- making royal icing
- beading round bottom
- sticking flowers on and piping centres
- silver paint dots and painting centres of white flowers

Think that's it.

Just trying to work out how slow I am in general. Have a bit of a complex due to horrid ex-boss. Took me 4 hrs 15 mins which I thought was ok but looking at the list above it seems like a long time.

Will post a side-on pic now.

Seminyak Sat 01-Mar-14 19:09:38

Can't decide if it's hideous and frilly or quite cute. Think I'm leaning towards hideous!! grin

Seminyak Sat 01-Mar-14 19:12:08

DH had just got home and called it fuddy duddy haha grin

nannycook Sat 01-Mar-14 20:02:36

It depends if you made the flowers before hand as I do then its just assembling etc, covering,sticking flowers on, why are you trying to work out how long you spent to how much to charge?

Seminyak Sat 01-Mar-14 20:42:57

No I just want to know if I'm a fast decorator or slow or what on average. I didn't make the flowers in advance, the list above is everything I did in the 4hrs 15 mins.

Seminyak Sat 01-Mar-14 20:54:18

Was just wondering how fast I am compared to others really, that's all. Making this cake got me thinking that if my old boss was here she'd have been scowling about how slow I was hmm

nannycook Sat 01-Mar-14 22:12:00

Does it matter? Surely you take as long as it takes,I make cakes to sell,, I work fulltime also and I make mine when I get home and it takes as long as it takes.

MikeLitoris Sat 01-Mar-14 22:18:07

I'd say 4 hours was about right.

I covered and decorated a Minnie Mouse cake this morning in about 2 hours but that was just a few bows and about 20 small flowers. No leaves or twiddly bits.

Seminyak Sat 01-Mar-14 23:41:43

Nannycook that's my view too. I'd much rather do something properly rather than quickly. I'm just wondering, don't worry about it.

Seminyak Sat 01-Mar-14 23:42:42

Ace thanks Mike smile

nannycook Sun 02-Mar-14 07:31:33

I don't like the sound of your old boss one bit, why did she scowl at you for taking as long as you do? I wouldn't like to work under that pressure, its bad enough getting it right without something looking over your shoulder, grrr.

Seminyak Sun 02-Mar-14 14:26:31

Hah thanks smile glad I wasn't being unreasonable. She was crazy and the business has now closed.

If I was in her position I'd have turned work down and said we were fully booked rather than rushing through 10 novelty cakes every day...

Coconutty Sun 02-Mar-14 14:31:31

That looks great, I want to eat it all.

nannycook Sun 02-Mar-14 17:26:11

10 cakes every day? Blimy Charlie, how many staff did she have then?

nannycook Sun 02-Mar-14 17:30:28

I do find it hard to put a time on my cake as most of the time I start things a week earlier if I have spare time, I.e making models, flowers, etc, actual covering covering the cakes attaching things doesn't take that long but saying that I do like to leave a cake to harden, so much easier to work with.

MikeLitoris Sun 02-Mar-14 18:11:18

Ideally I would do the same as you Nanny but people seem to like ordering cakes last minute! Especially a pain when things need to dry out.

nannycook Sun 02-Mar-14 20:25:18

Mike do you work? Do you find it hard to juggle everything? Ideally want enough cakes 3 weekly so I could possibly go partime, don't have any this week, had 3 last week and week before, grrr its never consistent enough.

MikeLitoris Sun 02-Mar-14 21:05:07

Yep, work pt but have 3 DC (13,9&3yo)

I try to keep to 1 cake a week but I do find I seem to get loads of orders at once then a few weeks without. Tbh I don't advertise myself ( no fb page or anything) so have no idea if I could make a go of it or not. I only really do things for family/friends ATM so I don't actually make any money on it.

nannycook Sun 02-Mar-14 21:18:10

This my bird cage cake Mike, thought you'd like to see it.

MikeLitoris Sun 02-Mar-14 21:21:17

Well done Nanny! I'd love to have a go at one but need to practice a for bit first!

nannycook Sun 02-Mar-14 21:27:13

Oddly enough Mike, it actually wasn't that bad, just gotta get the shape right then its decorating it, I used a clay gun for the lines so much easier.

Seminyak Mon 03-Mar-14 09:23:24

That's great nanny I really love it smile

Normally there were 2 people in kitchen 1 in office.

As I have you two here - I'm setting up on my own at the mo and want to check I've done everything legally! Do I need anything else other than:
Register premises
Food safety certificate
Registered as a sold trader
Public liability insurance??

It seems too simple hmm

Seminyak Mon 03-Mar-14 09:24:34

*sole trader

nannycook Mon 03-Mar-14 16:26:15

Nope think all is covered. Good luck on your own.

Seminyak Mon 03-Mar-14 17:41:25

Thanks nanny!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now