Can I serve curry flavoured choc cake at book club tonight?

(13 Posts)
ohdearwhatacatastophe Fri 28-Feb-14 14:04:00

I'm hosting book club tonight so yesterday I baked a chocolate cake with a chocolate fudge icing.

All was well until I was clearing up and licked the spatula I'd been stirring the icing with. It tasted decidedly peculiar. Another tentative lick revealed a definite curry flavour.

DH had cooked us all a curry (a very nice korma, incidentally) earlier that evening. He'd used the same spatula and although he'd washed it up and put it back in the drawer, it still had kept some of its curry aroma.

I tentatively picked at a bit of the icing that had fallen off the side of the cake and was relieved it tasted fine. Then I tried another bit but definitely got a bit of a korma sensation.

So what do I do now? I haven't got time to buy more ingredients and bake another one. DH reckons they won't notice so long as I make sure they all have some barbecue flavour crisps (and several glasses of wine) beforehand. Should I confess, bin it, or hope they just don't notice (or are too polite to say something?)

capsium Fri 28-Feb-14 14:09:24

Cut it into slices and then try a slice and get DJ to try one. Rearrange slices on the plate and serve if it tastes OK.

You can actually get chocolate with cardamom, chilli, green peppercorns in it. As well as chocolate ginger of course...

starfishmummy Fri 28-Feb-14 14:09:39

grin

capsium Fri 28-Feb-14 14:09:41

DH not DJ. Typo!

NigelMolesworth Fri 28-Feb-14 14:10:24

I'd serve it to my bookclub....!

ohdearwhatacatastophe Fri 28-Feb-14 14:11:31

I can't cut it into slices Capsium as I've decorated it and it will look a bit odd. There's a beautiful "B C" (for book club) in the middle. Oh I was so proud...

capsium Fri 28-Feb-14 14:13:26

I am sure it will be fine anyway..smile

Hassled Fri 28-Feb-14 14:14:40

They'll be too polite to say anything - they'll go "mmm, delicious" and then talk about your korma cake behind your back which let's face it, is better than in front of you in a situation like this. It'll be fine.

tb Sat 01-Mar-14 14:24:43

Just a tip, growing up we always had a special spoon for cooking curries.

Stops transfer of flavours.

nkf Sat 01-Mar-14 14:26:18

I'd go and buy another one.

MsAspreyDiamonds Wed 05-Mar-14 20:07:58

Serve strong cardomon coffee & lots of wine with the cake and nobody will notice tbh.

HyvaPaiva Wed 05-Mar-14 20:23:21

You probably notice it more because you realised the mistake. They won't notice. In any case, curry cake is a thing so it'll be fine.

Here's a recipe for Thai curry cake

bigTillyMint Thu 06-Mar-14 15:42:32

Just pour copious amounts of wine first and noone will bat an eyelid!

Hyva, that recipe is complicatedshock!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now