Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Best chocolate cake recipe?

(13 Posts)
LlamateurDramatics Thu 27-Feb-14 13:10:22

I'm making my daughter's birthday cake tonight and am planning to do chocolate instead of my normal vanilla/lemon flavour. I don't have the best track record with chocolate cakes though, and my normal recipe is too soft to cope with all the buttercream I need to put on it! So I need a fairly robust cake but one that tastes really chocolate-y too if possible! Can anyone suggest something please?

KuppiKahvia Thu 27-Feb-14 13:32:15

I made nigella's chocolate fudge cake at the weekend for dd's birthday, it was lovely and super chocolatey.

fudge cake

KateBG Thu 27-Feb-14 13:55:40

Hi smile Last month, I did a chocolate cake for my family and I actually combined two precipices because I didn't have all the needed ingredients for neither of them. The first part is made of:
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of yogurt
1/2 cup of sunflower oil
4 tablespoons of cacao powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup of crushed walnuts
You mix all this and put it in greased pan dusted with flour so that the cake won't stick to the pan. You bake for 30 minutes at normal temperature and after that you can check if it is ready by making holes with a toothpick. If there is nothing on the stick after that then it is ready. After it cools you can put it in the plate you are going to serve it in.
The second part is the top:
150 gr of butter at room temperature
1 cup of sugar
3 egg yolks
4-5 table spoons of cacao
This you can taste and you can add some more cacao or sugar according to the way you like it.
The best part comes after that: You may cut strawberries and sweetened shredded coconut. Let your daughter put the cream, the strawberries and shredded coconut by herself. My son loves helping me with cooking.
Good luck and enjoy your party smile

whatsagoodusername Thu 27-Feb-14 13:56:10

One Layer Red Devil's Food Cake
Preheat oven to 180°

50g butter
200g sugar
1 egg
5 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
150g flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
250ml sour milk (put a teaspoon of vinegar in the milk at the start, stir it before adding it to the other ingredients)

Cream sugar, butter, eggs, cocoa and vanilla. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk. Beat until smooth. Bake 35 - 40 minutes.

Quick, easy, very chocolaty.

LlamateurDramatics Thu 27-Feb-14 16:47:44

Thank you, that's given me some great ideas!

tb Sat 01-Mar-14 14:28:50

I make one with

3 eggs
180g castor sugar
180g butter
180g plain flour + 3 tsp baking powder
180g plain chocolate melted

When making it I separate the eggs and whisk the whites until stiff, and fold them in at the end.

I add the melted choc after mixing the butter and sugar.

It's often sandwiched with lemon curd, and I use a chocolate icing from Larousse Gastronomique thats

65g butter
150g plain chocolate - you might need double the quantity, can't remember.

Melt the choc and add the butter. Then whisk with a balloon whisk - I use a mixer - until the colour lightens to be a sort of dark milk choc colour. Trowel onto cake where it sets a bit like a frosting.

Alternatively, you can just mix well and pour over the cake, spreading to cover.

tb Sat 01-Mar-14 14:35:46

Forgot to add, when folding the flour in, you might need a little milk as you won't have the liquid from the egg whites.

FrimpongDench Sat 01-Mar-14 14:51:56

Mary Berry's Sunday Best chocolate fudge is lovely.

HermioneWeasley Sat 01-Mar-14 14:52:55

Good food's ultimate chocolate cake is brilliant

truelymadlysleepy Sat 01-Mar-14 17:55:06

hermione that's what I've made this afternoon.
My only advice would be not to use above 60% chocolate for children or it is quite a strong flavour. I use 80% for adult real chocolate fiends

SecretRed Sat 01-Mar-14 17:57:06

If you google easy chocolate cake it brings up a bbc food recipe which is the best chocolate cake I've ever tasted!

sadsaddersaddest Wed 05-Mar-14 12:00:59

I second good food's ultimate chocolate cake.
I generally tweak the recipe by adding an extra egg and reducing the water accordingly - it makes a less crumbly cake.

Electryone Sat 08-Mar-14 21:14:29

I have to say the BBC easy chocolate cake is without a shadow a doubt the best I've tasted, a friend recommended it recently, up until then I always used Nigellas old fashioned chocolate cake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now