Help me melt chocolate

(18 Posts)

I'm trying to make the topping for my tiffin and the chocolate just wont melt. I'm on my third attempt. It's always worked before when I've melted chocolate. What am I doing wrong this time?

The recipe is:
250g chocolate (was white, I'm now attempting milk)
50g butter
1tbsp golden syrup.

Melt in glass bowl over pan of boiling water.

I haven't let the bowl touch the water.
It's going like scrambled eggs sad

poisonedbypen Sat 22-Feb-14 20:06:48

Do it in the microwave?

Microwave it. 2 mins to start at 600 then stir and 1 minute at a time after stirring in between.

nannycook Sat 22-Feb-14 20:08:42

Why not just dairy milk on its own that what i always do when i make tiffen, its my works favourite.

Notify Sat 22-Feb-14 20:10:31

I've never had any success when melting chocolate with syrup. I'd just use chocolate in the microwave too.

Melt the butter in a pan or in the microwave.
Stir in the chocolate.
Once its all coated in melted butter, heat gently in the microwave or over a bowl of hot water.

Opps, missed the syrup. Stir that in right at the end.

Think it is going to be just melted choc now, but would still like to know why it won't melt. It's the same as the base I made earlier and that melted fine confused

MisForMumNotMaid Sat 22-Feb-14 20:13:49

Melt the chocolate in a bowl over water. Just break it up, leave it for five minutes, stir then leave for another few minutes.

Melt the butter and golden syrup in the microwave (30 secs), stir and allow to get a bit closer to the chocolate temperature before mixing it all together.

I'm attempting addicted's method at the moment. Fingers crossed this one works

Notify Sat 22-Feb-14 20:25:00

What kind of chocolate are you using? I got into a terrible mess when I tried to use up Dc's Easter Eggs by making crispie cakes. They must put something in them to stop them melting/help them keep their shape? I don't know but it went very grainy and stiff

nope that didn't work. Just melted chocolate it is.

Wasted so much chocolate this evening it is untrue.

Thanks for everyone's help though.

First 2 attempts were Sainbury's basics white chocolate. The next 2 were a big bag of galaxy chunks I had from the market. Now on to last years Easter eggs.

Guess we had too much chocolate in the house anyway grin

Easter eggs unlikely to work. Not really suprised the chunks sisn't work.
Get some non basic block chocolate.
I always use a little butter when melting chocolate. Can't melt without.

CyberMam Sat 22-Feb-14 20:38:17

Chocolate on its own I'd melt in a bowl over boiling water, or in the microwave, but for a butter/syrup/chocolate mix I'd heat direct in a pan on a low heat. I think you do have to be careful not to stir too much for any of them though or the chocolate can go grainy.

NewJobNewLife Sat 22-Feb-14 20:40:31

Is your bowl absolutely dry before you start? Even just a trace of water will leave you with lumpy scrambled egg chocolate ...

Bowl dry, maybe it's the chocolate. But it's the same as earlier and that worked. Well the first batch was. Making one last attempt with dark chocolate now. Just chocolate. If this doesn't work will give up and drink wine

Ok chocolate is melted and in top of tiffin. MIL better like her birthday present grin and my kitchen is a 1500g lighter of chocolate.
And relax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now