Birdcage

(10 Posts)
nannycook Tue 18-Feb-14 21:46:39

Has anyone made one of these and if they have can I be cheeky and ask how much did they charge, I have one to make next week and don't have a clue how much to charge. Tia

nannycook Wed 19-Feb-14 07:52:10

Anyone???? Pleeeeeeze.

MikeLitoris Wed 19-Feb-14 15:19:40

Never made one sorry.

Just add up your ingredients and add on whatever you think your time is worth per hour.

So if ingredients are £15 and it takes 5 hours @£10 per hour charge £65. Personally I wouldn't charge for baking or drying times but I know bakers that do.

What size is it going to be?

nannycook Wed 19-Feb-14 21:09:14

Hi Mike, its a difficult one to judge, its a 6 inch base but obviously tall using 2 round sponges then the hemispherical tin for the top, so in all about 8 inches. No problem though I'll post a photo next Wed when its finished.

MikeLitoris Wed 19-Feb-14 21:11:01

I've wanted to rry one for a while but its a lot of work to do it just for fun.

I might get some cake dummies and have a go.

OOh I want to make one if these too, I worry about the fondant tearing. I may have to copy Mike and cake dummy it!

MikeLitoris Sat 22-Feb-14 21:04:35

I think the trick is to wrap the fondant around the sides and then ice the dome separately. The join is covered by the piping I think.

I might try and pick up some dummies tomorrow.

nannycook Sat 22-Feb-14 22:48:30

Well I'm trying to put a photo on of my owl I made last Sunday but it wont let me yet, that was pretty tall but I know the birdcage is about 8 inches tall, what I used which was what my cake Dec shop said to do was to add some satin ice/lowercase to the sugarpaste to stop it tearing, so did that and it worked out perfectly, soon as I can put my owl on you'll see for yourself.

nannycook Sun 23-Feb-14 07:29:31

Flowerpaste I meant.

nannycook Wed 26-Feb-14 13:13:52

Blueberry, made my birdcage, quite pleased, will try and upload a photo ASAP for you to see.wasn't too bad to make but I will learn from it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now