Bakers! Quick I have an urgent question!

(8 Posts)
MyArseIsbiggerThanYours Fri 14-Feb-14 10:56:56

I am making heart shortbread biscuits (biscuits cut out already and ready to go in oven). I want to make a smaller heart on top in coloured sugar.
How do I get the sugar to stick on and do I do it before baking or after?

I've read about brushing the biscuit before baking with egg white, sprinkling sugar and cooking but that wasn't for shortbread. Any ideas?

Thanks.

kickassmama Fri 14-Feb-14 11:22:18

Edible glue is your best bet or may try a very thin layer of watered down icing sugar hope that helpssmile

MyArseIsbiggerThanYours Fri 14-Feb-14 11:27:36

Thanks. Before or after cooking do you think?!

PeerMon Fri 14-Feb-14 11:29:37

If you are cutting the hearts to go on top out of thick ready roll icing, you can dampen the bottom or use a very thin layer of icing sugar icing to stick it on. Do this after baking, after they have cooled.

MyArseIsbiggerThanYours Fri 14-Feb-14 11:32:30

The hearts will be made from pink granulated sugar (picture glitter on a Christmas card!)

MyArseIsbiggerThanYours Fri 14-Feb-14 11:35:05

Like these but I wanted the hearts on top to be a neat shape smile

kickassmama Fri 14-Feb-14 14:51:11

sorry got distracted,after baking once they have cooledsmile

MyArseIsbiggerThanYours Sat 15-Feb-14 07:40:15

Ok, so out of interest in case anyone else does the same thing. I didn't get your reply in time (outrageous, RL interrupting serious mumsnetting grin)

I lightly brushed egg white on before baking and sprinkled the sugar on before they went in the oven in the end. Must say they looked fab blush and tasted good too so will stick with that method I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now