Madeleine advice please?

(7 Posts)
Finickynotfussy Sun 09-Feb-14 18:15:37

I'm a teacher and want to make a big batch of madeleines for my class (it's my turn as they've made cake every week all year and I really like madeleines smile). I did a test batch yesterday using a Lakeland madeleine tin and a recipe from the BBC. They were awesome! However, they were all rubbery by the next day (despite being in a cake tin overnight) and I need to make them the evening before.

Does anyone know how you can keep madeleines for a day or two? DH pointed out the shop ones come in little individual packets - am I going to have to bag them individually or something? I did use demerera sugar instead of castor sugar and Olivio instead of butter but that seems unlikely to be the problem (the recipe did say they should be eaten within an hour).

Lomaamina Sun 09-Feb-14 18:20:35

How about freezing them as soon as they've cooled? I do this with all my bakes, although cannot vouch for madeleines specifically.

Finickynotfussy Sun 09-Feb-14 18:21:13

Hmm, definitely worth a try! Thanks.

homeanddry Sun 09-Feb-14 18:22:44

You really ought to be making them with butter....

Try a different recipe? I haven't made them for ages but I remember them being ok for a couple of days in an airtight box.

Finickynotfussy Sun 09-Feb-14 18:32:04

I don't object to butter - just didn't have any. Tbh I assumed they would be a disaster as my baking normally is (we'll ignore the fact I tipped half the cakemix into the bottom of the oven blush. I will try a different recipe.

Actually come to think of it as I work with French people maybe one of them will know all (although I bet they buy them from the shop like everyone else).

homeanddry Sun 09-Feb-14 18:46:12

Haha I bet they do too! But they are so much nicer home made.

And now I really want one. Or four.

Finickynotfussy Sun 09-Feb-14 19:58:10

Happy to pop the remaining rubbery one in the post grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now