Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Icing - something not as rich as buttercream or ganache?

(27 Posts)
Gatorade Wed 05-Feb-14 19:21:27

I'm making quite a large cake with multiple layers that need to be sandwiched together with icing. I find ganache and buttercream both very heavy and I was hoping someone might be able to suggest something a little lighter?

It doesn't have to be chocolate flavoured but that would be a bonus.

Ideally I would use whipped cream and jam but it needs to last a few days so that won't work.

Any ideas?

HyvaPaiva Wed 05-Feb-14 19:23:42
Catsmamma Wed 05-Feb-14 19:24:02

a chocolate water ganache/mousse would work

Mousse recipe

Gatorade Wed 05-Feb-14 19:26:17

I like the idea of the cream cheese icing, I think I've eaten it before on a red velvet cake, but I can't remember how sweet/sickly it is - how does it compare up buttercream?

Gatorade Wed 05-Feb-14 19:27:53

Have you tried that chocolate mousse recipe catsmamma? Looks interesting!

nannycook Wed 05-Feb-14 20:42:35

Gatorade, I don't find buttercream heavy I whip mine up for about 10 mins and find it as light as doublespeak, it should be fluffy and by mixing it for that long your whipping air in to it.

nannycook Wed 05-Feb-14 20:43:08

cream

drspouse Wed 05-Feb-14 20:45:46

Seven Minute Frosting - it's a meringue topping.

CMOTDibbler Wed 05-Feb-14 20:51:56

Swiss meringue buttercream. Its light and not at all sickly

Taffeta Wed 05-Feb-14 20:56:25

Mascarpone mixed with icing sugar and flavour of choice also good.

If you beat buttercream enough it is very light and you only really need a thin layer of it between each layer.

Mousse is fab if you only have 2 layers but much more results in it being squashed and more gloopy than light.

LatinForTelly Wed 05-Feb-14 20:57:04

Nigella does a multi-generational icing (so she calls it) that is less rich than buttercream and ganache. It does have raw eggs in it though. I'll have a google and if not, I'll type the basic recipe. V easy, and I always use it now for a chocolate cake

FrequentFlyerRandomDent Wed 05-Feb-14 21:04:32

Meringue icing?

A tad tricky, but bright and beautiful, and I could do it and I only do icing for birthdays!

LatinForTelly Wed 05-Feb-14 21:05:09

it should be here

I think possibly it may be a bit rich for your purposes. But it's delicious.

Gatorade Wed 05-Feb-14 21:12:28

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I'm going to make a few different ones tomorrow and test them! I'll also try to make a 'lighter' buttercream, it is possible that I've been a bit lazy in the past and not whipped it for long enough. Should the whipping be done to the butter alone or once it is combined with the icing sugar?

Once you have the butter and icing sugar mixed - (2x icing sugar to 1 x butter plus a couple of tbsp boiling water) then if you have a stand mixer put it on to mix and leave for 5-10 minutes. With a hand mixer you just need to be prepared for hand ache/boredom smile

Gatorade Wed 05-Feb-14 21:22:29

Oh goodness, my 2 minute blast with the hand mixer might be to blame then! I'll get the standing mixer out. Dies it make it taste less sickly and rich? Or would I still be better off with one of the linked fillings?

nannycook Wed 05-Feb-14 21:24:54

cream

If you use salted butter it takes some of the sickliness away, they beating does improve the flavour so much, light, creamy but not sickly.

sisteroutlaw Wed 05-Feb-14 21:48:22

Depression era buttercream!

tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/thate28099s-the-best-frosting-ie28099ve-ever-had/

It's bulked out with a thick white sauce. Sounds weird but is dreamy. I've only flavoured it with coffee before but imagine vanilla would go well with chocolate cake, sort of like Konditor and Cook's Curly Whirly cake which has an excellent frosting too (cream cheese base) but too sweet for me.

<adds thread to 'keep forever list'>

oh there isn't one sad

oh well, I shall place mark and test all these ideas!

yy to mixing for 10 mins. I did it accidentally the other week (baby nappy incident distracted me) and was amazed by the lovely light buttercream I don't get out much

sisteroutlaw Wed 05-Feb-14 22:19:34

Twinkly and Gatorade let me know what you think of the depression era one. It's almost virtuous as it cuts the proportions of fat n sugar in half and is so light and smooth. Gawd I want cake now.

Yumsnet Wed 05-Feb-14 22:30:02

this would last a bit longer than cream. I have made it, bit of a faff - not in my opinion the best icing/frosting ever as the website claims, but very nice nevertheless.

Gatorade Wed 05-Feb-14 22:45:09

I'll give it a go sisteroutlaw...I'm slight dubious about putting flour in icing, but I can imagine it takes the richness away which would be a good thing!

sisteroutlaw Wed 05-Feb-14 22:49:36

Yeah it doesn't sound appealing at all but has lightness and good "mouth feel". Good luck! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now