Substituting white flour for wholemeal

(5 Posts)
BornToFolk Sat 01-Feb-14 17:10:03

I was planning to make some banana bread and the recipe calls for wholemeal flour. I only have plain but I also have some bran. Can I just use the plain instead, or mix it with bran?

mammmamia Sun 02-Feb-14 08:55:59

What did you do, borntofolk? I have the same problem today. Need whole meal SR flour for carrot cake but only have plain.

mousmous Sun 02-Feb-14 08:58:38

selfraising flour vs plain
I use 1 teaspoon baking powder per 150g (or so) flour instead.
never use self raising flour as I bake a lot with yeast.
for the banana bread, what you plan to do sounds fine.

BornToFolk Sun 02-Feb-14 10:25:37

So, I used about 25g bran and 150g plain white flour instead of 175g of wholemeal flour. The loaf took longer to cook than usual (it's a tried and tested recipe!) and still seems quite moist and almost claggy right in the middle. I did read that wholemeal flour needs more moisture so that could be why....probably not helped by the fact I only had large eggs, rather than medium! If you can reduce the amount of wet ingredients in your cake, I'd definitely recommend that.
Anyway, it's fine, the loaf is probably not the best that I've ever made but it'll be edible.

mammmamia Sun 02-Feb-14 17:18:02

Thanks for the replies. I used 100g plain SR flour and 100g whole meal and added a tsp of baking powder, cake was fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now