Argh! Which tin?

(4 Posts)

I am making a chocolate torte, which I assumed would be round, but the recipe calls for a 24x18cm shallow tin. (Why?!) I don't have one of those - my rectangular tin is too big. I have a 24cm round tin and a 22cm round tin, but only the larger one is springform. Do I use the 24cm round one and risk it being a bit flat?

bump?

24 x 18 rectangular is 432 sq. cm. A 24cm round tin is 452 sq.cm and a 22cm round tin is 380 sq.cm. (Pie R squared). Personally I would use the 22cm one as you do not want to have it too thin or it could break up when serving. As for the Springform, don't worry. There is absolutely nothing you can do in a Springform pan that you cannot do in an ordinary loose based pan.

Thanks! That was my reasoning too, but my 22cm was just a solid tin so I did it in the 24cm springform in the end, which was a good job as it rose A LOT and got to the top of the tin! Not quite sure what would have happened if it had been in a smaller rectangular one!

Who knew pi r squared had an actual use, eh?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now