Making uniform cupcakes????

(10 Posts)
Mandy21 Thu 30-Jan-14 11:28:06

Can anyone help? I have started making cupcakes for family / friends and I'm struggling to get them all to rise to the same level / look uniform. I think I fill the cake cases to the same level for each cake, and then they rise to different levels. Also, I use the same recipe each time with the same cake cases etc - sometimes the mixture seems to make 12 cakes that all rise to the top of the cake case, sometimes they only seem to rise to say 3/4 of the case.

I don't have a fan oven, just a normal gas oven, but to be honest, I don't think the oven makes a difference.

Any tips of how to ensure I get perfectly risen cupcakes to the top of the cake case each time???

Thank you!

ClaimedByMe Thu 30-Jan-14 11:33:12

Ice cream scoop!

Mandy21 Thu 30-Jan-14 11:38:02

Genuis! Will try! Thank you smile

antimatter Thu 30-Jan-14 12:10:37

are you using the same kind of flower every time?

MikeLitoris Thu 30-Jan-14 17:20:41

Different size eggs will give different amount of mix each time.

Yy to the ice cream scoop. Would be lost without mine

Mandy21 Thu 30-Jan-14 17:44:05

Oh right, I'm not very precise with eggs, just whatever comes out of the box. Many thanks everyone, this is really helpful thanks

antimatter Thu 30-Jan-14 19:13:49

flour of course grin
ps. my brain slowed down today due to the cold I am fighting....

mamacoffee Thu 30-Jan-14 19:26:15

I'm no expert but given that a PP commented on size of eggs being important maybe you could try weighing your eggs first. Then you use the same weight of flour, butter and sugar

I'm also gunna use that ice cream scoop idea, thanks. Cooking large trays of cupcakes to see if they cook the same accross the oven is one of the ways that testers review how good ovens are. Apparently some have cold spots and hot spots rather than a uniform temperature, so in some ovens uneven cupcakes are unavoidable.

nannycook Fri 31-Jan-14 12:42:32

yep icecream scoop never fails, wouldnt be without it, not a full scoop tjo as it overfills.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now