Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Chewy brownies??

(12 Posts)
PassTheCremeEggs Mon 27-Jan-14 09:45:13

Am desperately seeking a good recipe for really yummy fudgey/chewy brownies. Mine seem to keep coming out too "cakey". I'd like a a crunchy outside and chewy inside.

Anyone got a foolproof chewy recipe? I'm wasting a fortune on good chocolate!

Pass, I would guess that you are over cooking them. You should take them out of the oven before they pass the skewer test.

Trills Mon 27-Jan-14 10:31:05

I was going to say the exact same thing.

Brownies should always appear to be sightly under cooked.

PassTheCremeEggs Mon 27-Jan-14 11:03:39

Good point. What are your recipes? Because they all vary so much in proportions of flour particularly, I wonder if more floury ones are more cakey. I think I should probably, totally selflessly, continue to test different recipes.

PassTheCremeEggs Mon 27-Jan-14 11:05:27

But yes I agree I'm probably leaving in a bit too long

Daykin Mon 27-Jan-14 11:13:46

Fudgy Brownies

140g butter
200g choc
200g sugar
pinch salt
vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
85g pl flour

melt butter and chic together. whisk in sugar, salt, vanilla. whisk in eggs - slowly. Beat flour in
40-45 min at 160(fan)

I used to have a recipe for chewy brownies but I've lost it. I remember that you had to use bread flour instead of normal and to beat it a bit longer to develop the gluten strands.

If they are too cake then you are using too much flour.

PassTheCremeEggs Mon 27-Jan-14 11:17:27

Thank you Daykin!

PassTheCremeEggs Mon 27-Jan-14 12:32:44

Daykin - I've just made yours, perfect! Although I took them out after 25 mins because they were ready. They're cooling now and a crafty edge taken off tells me they're exactly what I was after. Thanks!

CharlieBoo Wed 29-Jan-14 09:24:33

Ooh might try these myself... What chocolate do you use? Cadburys or cooking chocolate? Can you tell I'm a complete novice? :-)

Daykin Wed 29-Jan-14 09:38:59

passthecremeeggs I hope the middle was a good as the edges smile

CharlieBoo I use Bournville type chocolate. Plain, but not dark. I think it's around 50% cocoa. Asda's version of Bournville is Rainforest Certified (or fair-trade, I forget which)

singaporeswing Wed 29-Jan-14 10:03:34

You could take inspiration from your name and bake them with Creme Eggs in the middle. Makes brownies really gooey.

Few recipes floating round the Internet for them.

PassTheCremeEggs Wed 29-Jan-14 20:38:37

The middle is perfect Daykin! Absolutely brilliant. I used green and blacks cooking chocolate which is 70%. Rich without being sickly. Hmm creme eggs in middle - really tempting...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now