Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

gluten free sponges, how long do they last?

(4 Posts)
wintersdawn Wed 22-Jan-14 18:37:38

Just that really, I've got my gluten free FIL coming round for a birthday meal, but wont have time to cook a cake on the day. A normal sponge I'd make the day before and put some sugar water on it to help it stay fresh, can I do that with gluten free or is it really a bake and eat the same day without the gluten in the flour?

kitchensinkmum Wed 22-Jan-14 18:59:12

I make gluten free cakes etc and treat them the same as gluten containing ones . I think a gf song or cake would last quite a few days in a tin but in my house it doesn't gets the chance as always eaten .
The day before would be fine and I'm sure your FIL will be delighted with it .

wintersdawn Wed 22-Jan-14 19:55:35

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Coro Sat 25-Jan-14 11:43:25

I make gluten free cake quite often and as only ds and I here to eat it I can say that the cakes containing ground almond last longer as it helps retain the moisture. GF flour seems to mean cakes dry out very quickly. Hth. Enjoy the cakesmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now