Help finding online tutorial for making a sugerpaste figure of a little girl

(17 Posts)
bobkate Wed 22-Jan-14 15:04:10

Hoping you can help - I've been googling for ages. I've seen this cake....
I've managed to cobble together some bars.... and some stars ( as not going to attempt the fancy layering around the edge ) but I keep putting off starting to make the little gymnast figure.
I've had a look on pinterest and google but I'm struggling to find anything similar.
If you've seen anything similar or a link that you think might help me would you please post it! Would be really grateful. smile

bobkate Wed 22-Jan-14 15:05:07

excuse the spelling typo in title!

curlew Wed 22-Jan-14 15:07:24

Jut get some appropriately coloured sugar past and have a go. Pretend it's plasticine. Honest- it's easy. Use a damp paintbrush to stick the bits together, and let it dry on a piece of foam.

Also, google Debhie Brown- she has fantqstic instructions for making figures.

stealthsquiggle Wed 22-Jan-14 15:13:28

I was going to point you to this but the hard thing about that cake is that she is standing up (and not wearing much! I will have another look.

curlew Wed 22-Jan-14 15:16:55

The standing up isn't a problem. Make her lying down, possibly with a tooth pick half embedded in one leg. Let her dry, then stand her up, with the toothpick stuck into the cake.

How long have you got?

stealthsquiggle Wed 22-Jan-14 15:17:17

There are lots for sale if you search 'cake topper gymnast' on pinterest.

Don't use sugarpaste if you want her to stand up - she won't. You will need gumpaste (sometimes sold as flower paste). I have some books with good instructions, but I have to admit that my figures all sit down for this very reason.

There are some in pinterest that are doing the splits - that would be easier.

bobkate Wed 22-Jan-14 15:42:39

Just back v quickly to say thanks and that I'll post back later properly once I'm back from taking DD swimming.
I am using sugarpaste with gum tragacanth in it - I've got about 135g of sugarpaste so added just under half a teaspoon of gum trag into it. Will that enable the figure to stand? If I have to do her in the splits that wouldn't be too bad.

bobkate Wed 22-Jan-14 19:10:43

It has to be done for Sunday!!! Nothing like leaving it to the last minute. Well I did have all the stuff last week but a poorly dog scuppered plans to do it last week.
I like the sound of making her lying down then standing her up when she's done. Think I'll have a practise run tonight - if the dog & children leave me in peace for a while.
Funnily enough - I thought she'd be easier given that she's not wearing much! I have a feeling she's going to be one funny looking little girl!

curlew Wed 22-Jan-14 19:41:11

Make several- you'll honestly find it easy once you get started. Then leave them in a cool dry place to dry. You've got time. Don't forget the cocktail stick.

A few tips. Make several heads and practice doing the faces. Eyebrows and ears make the faces look much more realistic. Use children's (so non toxic) fibre tips- they work much better than the special ones. Match the hair to the birthday child's- they love that. I can give you specific tips about hair if you like. Don't forget to use lots of edible glitter. See if you can match her leotard too. If all lose fails, make her doing the splits! Go for it!

stealthsquiggle Wed 22-Jan-14 20:09:08

I would use spaghetti rather than cocktail sticks

bobkate Wed 22-Jan-14 21:11:24

Okay - so here's where I am at the mo. I didn't have any cocktail sticks and so I've used spaghetti - on my many, many google searches I remembered that tip.
I now wish I hadn't stuck the head on until I'd done the eyes and hair....if I've stuck the head to the body ( using water ) can it be removed again? I'm a bit worried about her being unstable and if I try to poke about sticking hair & eyes on she'll fall over. Although then I guess I'd just start again.
My DD's leotard is purple so she'll get that it's meant to be her ( I hope! ) ...just got to add some sparkle. I have yellow paste for the hair ( albeit very bright yellow! )
What do you think so far?

stealthsquiggle Thu 23-Jan-14 10:14:56

Can't see pictures on phone app sad [pet peeve]

bobkate Thu 23-Jan-14 13:17:55

You're not missing much - she looks a bit scary as there's not eyes or hair yet!!!

bobkate Thu 23-Jan-14 21:11:00

Thought I'd show you the finished thing - quite proud of it being my first attempt and all!

stealthsquiggle Thu 23-Jan-14 21:13:52

It looks great, bobkate. I hope DD will be suitably impressed.

bobkate Thu 23-Jan-14 21:33:12

Thanks stealth - I told her I'd completely forgotten to get her a cake so hopefully she'll be surprised!

stealthsquiggle Thu 23-Jan-14 22:35:22

sneaky grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now