Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Advice on freezing cakes, icing and brownies for 1st birthday party please!

(5 Posts)
surgicalwidow Sat 18-Jan-14 12:50:31

We are having a tea party for DD's birthday next Saturday and I am planning to make brownies (nigella tried and tested) and the birthday cake, a basic rectangular two layer sponge with vanilla (maybe lemon, haven't decided!) buttercream icing in the middle and shop bought fondant to cover, with some decorations.

My issue is that the party is going to be in my parent's house as that's closer to where everyone is. We are going to drive there Friday evening after bedtime, so I won't have time to cook Friday at all as I will be working til 5ish.

So, what bits can I make in advance for Saturday? Buttercream icing I can freeze, but how well does sponge freeze? If so, could I make today, freeze, then ice Saturday morning? And is it possible to make the brownie mix today, freeze it, then cook it Saturday morning?

Going off now to make the buttercream and will await help smile

You can definitely freeze the sponge. When it's completely cold, double wrap it in clingfilm and freeze. If you're making two separate layers, wrap and freeze them individually. If you make one cake and split it, put a piece of film or greaseproof paper between the layers, then double wrap. Make sure it's properly defrosted before you ice it or the condensation will affect the fondant. If you make a madeira rather than victoria sponge it will be firmer and last longer.
I've never tried to freeze brownies, so I'll be interested to see what people say.

wintersdawn Sat 18-Jan-14 15:25:20

Agree with above advice re sponges and never had a brownie in the house long enough to freeze but I have a friend that does double batches and freezes hers.

surgicalwidow Sat 18-Jan-14 15:32:12

That's great thanks for the tips on freezing the sponges! I was wondering can you freeze the uncooked brownie mix? Then defrost and cook sat morning?

ILikeToClean Sat 18-Jan-14 19:29:52

I would bake the brownies, you can freeze them uncut in foil, then cut up once defrosted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now