Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Cakes sticking in my ring mould/bundt tin

(5 Posts)
MrsArthurWellesley Wed 15-Jan-14 13:46:41

So I've been baking quite a few things in a ring mould recently and the cakes were sticking to the fluted bottom/top of the ring mould so I'd have to reconstruct the cake when I turned it out. So off I trotted to get a new ring mould and what I bought is in fact a bundt tin. And the cakes are still sticking confused

Admittedly, I have been cooking cakes with fruit in them and often using frozen fruit, which never helps, but any tips for helping the cakes turn out properly?

I haven't been greasing the bundt tin because it's that really good anodised non-stick stuff, but should I do that anyway? What's best, butter, butter plus flour or something like cake release?

MrsArthur, If your Bundt/Ring Mould is anodised, it will not be non-stick (unless subsequently non-stick coated, which would be strange). It may be "easy-release" but that is not the same. The release characteristics will get better with use (which non-stick coated products won't) but need to be handled correctly to get the best out of them. The company I work for produces anodised bakeware so I know about this issue. This is not one of our products, however, as we don't do a fluted bundt.

You should give it a thorough clean to get rid of any "stuck" cake residue. Then you should grease with a block butter or block margarine, not a spreadable sort as the oils they put in to make them spreadable are the oils that could make the cake stick (olive oil is a no-no). After greasing, dust with flour. This should allow you to get a good release. Groundnut oil is also good.

I'll try butter next time, my ring tin sticks, horribly.

JanetAndRoy Wed 15-Jan-14 14:42:01

Don't use groundnut oil if you are planning on baking for nut allergy sufferers anytime soon!
I swear by Dr Oetker spray. It's available in Sainsburys (and probably other supermarkets too. It's not cheap, but a little goes a long way.

Chopsypie Wed 15-Jan-14 15:01:39

Lakeland do a cake release spray, I've never used it but MIl swears by it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now