Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Been quoted £80 for a 1st bday cake - wtf?!?

(48 Posts)
u32ng Mon 13-Jan-14 21:04:38

Am I being naive or ripped off??

Just want a vanilla sponge in the shape of a no.1; white icing with coloured dots that spell DS's (short!) name; & a little icing bear on top. To feed 30. It's just a local lady too not some fancy pants cake maker.

Me & DH had not expected or budgeted for this!!

Seriously thinking of making it myself even though I don't get home from work until 6.45pm (and his bday is a Saturday)....

MarvellousMechanicalMouseOrgan Sun 19-Jan-14 09:08:08

We got a birthday cake from our local cafe who make their own cakes. It cost £25 and was really gorgeous. Do you have a place like that near you?

OP if you are Newcastle/Gateshead way, look for Mrs Bou Cakes on FB.

A friend of mine gets her families cakes through her and they are the nicest cake Iv ever eaten.

Sorry I dont know how much she charges, but they are divine!

MikeLitoris Sun 19-Jan-14 09:24:08

I am normally the first to point out how much making cakes actually costs and how people can be ridiculous
In their expectations but that cake is not worth £80.

Get yourself onto fb and look for local cake decorators.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Sun 19-Jan-14 09:29:39

Number cases

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Sun 19-Jan-14 09:32:26

Sorry, stupid phone.

Number cakes are easy and don't even take that long. £80 is absurd.

My advice would be to make a large rectangular cake in advance, freeze it, and then ice the night before. Should be do able. Lots of tutorials online for decorating etc.

Katz Sun 19-Jan-14 09:36:53

Waitrose one - http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=148969

Only serves 16 but you could cut smaller pieces or cheat and have a yellow covered sponge ready cut to add to it!

Katz Sun 19-Jan-14 09:37:02
nannycook Sun 19-Jan-14 13:18:28

U32 thats a very simple cake and nothing that simple and small should cost that much, have a go yourself you'll be suprised at how easy you will find it .Have a look at some of my cakes and see if you look my designs. Good luck.

nannycook Sun 19-Jan-14 13:20:27

Just some of the cakes i made last week.

What area "up north" are you? I'm a caker myself, and know a few dotted around the country that I can recommend to you. I would charge £40 for the one in the pic

Chopsypie Sun 19-Jan-14 13:41:15

Bloody hell. I only paid £80 for a single tier sponge fully decorated with pearls and flowers that fed 60 for my parents wedding anniversary. If you are around Cleveland I can recommend a few people.

this is the one that cost me £52 that was for mine/dh's 40th

Some lovely cakes on here!

I make and decorate for friends/family (in lieu of a gift), so can't tell you how much I'd charge.
However, I've hired shaped cake tins from my local baking supply shop before for £5 (with a £20 deposit) and ingredients have cost around £15 including icing.

Pic is one I made this week.

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 19-Jan-14 14:01:52

I paid £35 for one to feed 20 for dd it was a square cake with her name & iced ballet shoes/tutu on.

MikeLitoris Sun 19-Jan-14 16:53:53

For a frame of reference I made this for a friends dd and the board, box cake and icing cost £12.50. It took around 1 hour to bake and another 1.5 hours to decorate. (Obviously cooling time was more)

Also I dont waste money on shaped tins. I just bake two big rectangles, sandwich together and cut into the number I want. Shaped tins are too much faff!

u32ng Sun 19-Jan-14 21:40:04

Believe me I wish I could bake it myself but the lead up to his birthday is my first week back at work after a year's maternity leave so it's going to be a bit of muddle week especially as I get home late. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew & get all stressed out so think it's wiser to outsource this birthday's cake!

Plus our freezer is crap and small! No room for cake!

MsAspreyDiamonds Mon 20-Jan-14 15:37:13

I ordered my dd's 1st cake from M&S as I work next door so convenient for me. The cake was lovely, moist victoria sponge which kept for ages & less than half the price of the price quoted to you.
They also do one with a teddy as well.

m.marksandspencer.com/mt/www.marksandspencer.com/Marks-and-Spencer-Number-Train/dp/B006DKBW80?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_11&nodeId=72566031&sr=1-11&qid=1390231965&pf_rd_r=0MRSV6745FK2R6E4Q6YX&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=72566031&pf_rd_p=321381387&pf_rd_s=related-items-3

MsAspreyDiamonds Mon 20-Jan-14 15:41:56
patchesmcp Tue 28-Jan-14 18:55:15

If you're a member of Costco or know someone who is their cakes are great for the money. Various designs and big but only about £15.

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 28-Jan-14 19:05:50

Marks and Spencer's do personalised number cakes for about £30

u32ng Wed 29-Jan-14 20:16:38

Ended up going with another cake maker for £50 which was a bit better!

Ordering the food from markies though! grin

busyboysmum Wed 29-Jan-14 20:20:59

I'm up North and use my friend's sister in law who makes amazing cakes for around £35. And they are delicious as well - massive bonus.

nannycook Wed 29-Jan-14 20:31:26

god u32, i'm defo doing something wrong
i charged that the other week for a double figure, got 6 cakes to make over the next few weeks, think i'm gonna rethink my prices, i'm currently working on a gardening cake, lots of work, i've made a greenhouse, pots with flowers , watering can, various veg and a vine of toms in another along with two sacks of pots, the price,£45.00.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now