So when someone posts [cake], what kind of cake do you think of?

(20 Posts)
Jacksmania Tue 07-Jan-14 06:39:52

Mmmmmm... caaaaake...

I love cake.

Only I'm bored with all my recipes.

What's your favourite cake? Please include recipes, pretty please.

flowers smile cake smile flowers

It makes me think of chocolate cake with chocolate butter cream!

darkdays Tue 07-Jan-14 06:47:33

Coffee cake.

Jacksmania Tue 07-Jan-14 16:26:07

Coooooooffeeeeee cake... coffee and cake... mmmm!!!!!

MrsHappyBee Tue 07-Jan-14 16:31:01

A big thick slice of homemade Victoria Sponge filled with jam and buttercream.

Jacksmania Wed 08-Jan-14 18:03:47

So does anybody have any good cake recipes?

Looby12 Wed 08-Jan-14 18:15:26

Lemon drizzle, banana loaf or Victoria sponge yum

DaftSkunk Wed 08-Jan-14 18:17:10

Victoria sponge. Mmmmm

ThingsThatGoBumpInTheNight Wed 08-Jan-14 18:19:28

Chocolate cake with buttercream here smile mmmm

IAmNotDarling Wed 08-Jan-14 18:29:39

I love sour cream cinnamon cake - see Dan Lepard'a recipe - easy and lovely.

Jacksmania Wed 08-Jan-14 18:37:21

Ohhhh... sour cream and cinnamon... I am going to try that later!

More... bring it on... cake recipe sharing thread, anyone?

Mignonette Wed 08-Jan-14 18:39:45

My husband's hazelnut, passionfruit and lemon curd roulade at the moment. Yummy and currently my cake of the week.

Jacksmania Wed 08-Jan-14 18:44:19

Jeez, Mignonette, I think I just actually drooled on my laptop! Recipe please <begs>.

Mignonette Wed 08-Jan-14 19:01:43

He made it for a New Years eve party then again for a dinner w/ friends. I'll go look up the recipe. He adapted it as the original stated to make the passionfruit sauce separately and it seemed nicer spread inside.

back in a min!

Mignonette Wed 08-Jan-14 19:08:11

Here it is -

Hazelnut, Lemon and Passion Fruit Roulade.

5 egg whites
275g (10 oz) caster sugar
50g (2 oz) shelled hazelnuts, roughly chopped (we chop quite small)
300ml (1/2 pint) double cream, whipped
Coulis

6 tablespoons lemon curd
2 passionfruit

Preheat the oven to 200ºC/Fan 180ºC/Gas 6. Line a 33 × 23cm (13 × 9in) Swiss roll tin with greased non-stick baking paper, pushing it into the corners.

Whisk the egg whites in an electric mixer on full speed until very stiff. Gradually add the sugar, 1 teaspoon at a time, and still at high speed, whisk well between each addition.Whisk until very, very stiff and all the sugar has been included. Mix in two-thirds of the hazelnuts.

Spread the meringue mixture into the prepared tin and sprinkle the remaining hazelnuts evenly over the top. Bake in the preheated oven for about 12 minutes or until just coloured pale golden. Lower the oven temperature to 160ºC/Fan 140ºC/Gas 3, and continue baking for a further 20 minutes until firm to the touch.

Remove the meringue from the oven and turn, hazelnut side down, on to a sheet of non-stick baking paper. Remove the paper from the base of the cooked meringue and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.

Warm the lemon curd to make it runnier and mix in the scooped out seeds and juice from the passion fruits.

When cooled, spread a thin layer of the warmed lemon curd/passion fruit mixture over the meringue- warming it helps it spread easily. Then spread a layer of whipped cream over this.Start to roll from the short end, very tightly at first, until rolled up like a Swiss roll. Wrap in non-stick paper and chill before serving.

If you have sauce left over then ladle it over the cut slices.

It isn't that hard to make and is meant to have a cracked surface so don't worry about it looking pristine.

We got the recipe from 'Dales Life- A taste of Yorkshire and adapted it.

Mignonette Wed 08-Jan-14 19:10:05

Sorry - posted too soon

If you have any of the passion fruit liqueur called Passoa, we add a capful of that to this also to the whipped cream. But Limoncello or similar liqueur would also work.

You could also omit the passion fruit and add Frangelico liqueur to the cream.

Jacksmania Wed 08-Jan-14 20:53:18

Oh, I had Passoa in Barbados - it was sooooo delicious!!

lougle Wed 08-Jan-14 21:00:22

Coffee and walnut. Mmmmm...

IAmNotDarling Wed 15-Jan-14 18:51:37

Op have you made any cakes?

Jacksmania Sat 18-Jan-14 23:46:17

Whoops - I missed that anyone else posted. Yes, DS and I made a wonderful cake yesterday, from my Oma's German recipe collection - it's called butter cake (Butterkuchen in German), and has flaked almonds on top. I'm ashamed to admit how much the two of us managed to eat before DH came home blush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now