Fire Engine Cake

(15 Posts)
PseudoBadger Sun 05-Jan-14 20:38:18

DS would like a fireman sam cake for his 3rd birthday. He only likes chocolate cake. Has anyone got a good recipe for a chocolate cake that is like Madeira? As I believe that's the best for 'building'? Also any construction/decoration tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!

PseudoBadger Mon 06-Jan-14 17:09:29

Can anyone help?

abitofanangrybird Mon 06-Jan-14 19:03:48

Take a look at Debbie Brown's website - she has a Fireman Sam cake in one of her books (I think it is Character Cakes). You should be able to order it from the library, I believe it is now out of print.

abitofanangrybird Mon 06-Jan-14 19:05:19

Forgot to say that there is a recipe in her book for each cake. Just replace done if the plain flour with an equal quantity of cocoa.

PseudoBadger Mon 06-Jan-14 20:35:28

Fantastic I'll look it up, thanks

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Tue 07-Jan-14 19:42:14

Fireman sam cake is great and straight forward to do.

I agree about doing a standard sponge with cocoa in it.

I have a pic on my profile of one that I did a few years ago. if you want any tips let me know

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Tue 07-Jan-14 19:43:07

There are some things that I would change to it that would make it look better.

PseudoBadger Tue 07-Jan-14 19:54:28

Wow great cakes! I have no idea where to start with regards to decoration, but I do make a nice rustic looking cake

I did a flat fire engine cake (decorated a big rectangle), not sure if that helps!

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Tue 07-Jan-14 20:08:42

OK if you make a traybake cut it in thirds stack it with buttecream and buttercream it all over then cover it with bright red sugarpaste that is your best start

SavoyCabbage Tue 07-Jan-14 20:10:17

You have to use a good quality food colouring for red. Like a gel. <bitterly remembers Elmo's face cake>

PurplePidjin Tue 07-Jan-14 20:31:08

Bake in a loaf tin, i did a blue camper van for dn one year like that

I bought the roll out ready coloured icing for the red and the blue, and then used marzipan for the yellow and oreos for the wheels.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Tue 07-Jan-14 22:55:52

I would def second the idea of getting the ready coloured icing. Red and black are the Bain on my life!!

PseudoBadger Mon 27-Jan-14 07:58:17

Right bake day is tomorrow. I'll do a flat rectangle cake rather than the ambitious recreation of Jupiter that I had imagined (what was I thinking!!) and have bought ready coloured icing for red and black. Bought jelly babies for the blue lights. That's about the extent of my creativeness...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now