Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Fondant icing help?!

(15 Posts)
adagio Sun 05-Jan-14 15:24:33

crap i meant lady mercy not last mercy

adagio Sun 05-Jan-14 15:23:50

ooo thats a good idea last mercy - thanks smile

and congrats Doodle, glad it went well!

LadyMercy Thu 02-Jan-14 16:37:40

Also too late i Know, but i roll fondant icing out onto cling film. It stops it sticking to the counter. You can put anoher layer over the top once it is flattened out to stop it sticking to the rolling pin and then smooth out any slight wrinkles when you've got it on the cake (obviously having removed the clingfilm - rather chewy).

Doodledumdums Thu 02-Jan-14 16:20:56

Ah, shame it's too late for this year, but a great tip for next time, thank you! smile

Littlefish Thu 02-Jan-14 16:14:32

I realise I'm too late, but this tip might help for next year. If you're using a shaped tin, I was advised by a professional cake maker to cover the cake with jam or buttercream, then fondant icing. When the fondant icing was as smooth as possible, she suggested dusting the inside of the tin with cornflour and pressing it back over the cake. It's a tight fit, but it gives the cake a really good shape, with all the edges and details really well defined and ready for any additional decorations like eyes, whiskers etc.

Doodledumdums Thu 02-Jan-14 16:11:36

sorry...no idea how I managed to send that so many times!

Doodledumdums Thu 02-Jan-14 16:10:40

Thank you both for your help, I am SO pleased with the cake, it looks lovely! I have never iced anything so well before! unfortunately the cake itself didn't turn out as well as usual (typical!), but it looks good! grin

Doodledumdums Thu 02-Jan-14 16:10:39

Thank you both for your help, I am SO pleased with the cake, it looks lovely! I have never iced anything so well before! unfortunately the cake itself didn't turn out as well as usual (typical!), but it looks good!

Doodledumdums Thu 02-Jan-14 16:10:38

Thank you both for your help, I am SO pleased with the cake, it looks lovely! I have never iced anything so well before! unfortunately the cake itself didn't turn out as well as usual (typical!), but it looks good!

Doodledumdums Thu 02-Jan-14 16:10:35

Doodledumdums Thu 02-Jan-14 16:10:05

Doodledumdums Thu 02-Jan-14 16:10:05

adagio Thu 02-Jan-14 05:05:03

Hi Doodle
I am no expert by any stretch, but having recently made my daughter's first birthday cake and researching lots of advice first, I made a madeira sponge as it is firmer as it has more flour in it and keeps better (than victoria /same of everything half as many eggs).

I did thin buttercream all over then in the fridge to set - that was the crumb coat; then a further layer of buttercream to stick the fondant on. I read that some people use trex for rolling out, but I didn't risk it - I used icing sugar/cornflour mix and dusted it off after , then smoothed and rubbed with clean hands to bring back (some) shine. I also got sparkle icing sugar from Asda and sprinkled some of that at last minute which effectively covered any remaining powder look.

Buttercream recipe from other mums netters - one block lurpak (unsweetened) beat for 5 mins ish with mixer THEN add one pack icing sugar and fold in then beat some more. Much less messy than trying to add icing sugar then beat it. I flavoured with vanilla.

Good luck smile

RockinAroundTheXmasTreeHippy Thu 02-Jan-14 04:52:49

I use cornflour - it dusts away more easily -

dust your rolling pin too - though I use special a plastic fondant roller for most of my icing, but wooden one will be ok if dusted.

No special tools needed with the Teddy bear cake - though cake smothers good if a smoother shape - but do make sure you paint your cake with a sticky layer - I use warmed honey, or syrup depending on the cake flavour, this will help the icing settle & stick into crevices

You can also wipe it over with a good quality no tear kitchen roll, soaked in water & squeezed out - gently smooth over with this will not only push the fondant into the crevices, but clean any dust away too - also good for repairing tears & cracks - just fill it & gently smooth with damp kitchen roll

You can buy special edible glue to stick things on with, but this can be made too - google recipes, but basically an icing sugar & water paste - though if adding bigger things, use glue & cocktail sticks running through them & the cake to make it more secure

HTH

& good luck smile

Doodledumdums Wed 01-Jan-14 23:55:49

I am planning on making a Birthday cake for my son's 1st Birthday party on Saturday, and am looking for some advice from some more experienced cake decorators?!

I have used fondant icing quite a lot before, but usually I roll it out using icing sugar so it doesn't stick to the surface. The issue with doing this is that my cakes are always covered in icing sugar and look dusty and messy. What are you supposed to use to roll out fondant icing? Also, should I have a specific rolling pin, as icing tends to stick to my wooden one?

Also, (last question I promise!) I am making a cake in the shape of a teddy bear and the mould has lots of crevices which I think are going to be difficult to ice, are there any tools I can get to help me to keep the icing smooth?

Also, (sorry...really is last question!) what should I use to stick the fondant icing to the cake? in the past I've used jam, but I find it to be a bit messy?

TIA! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now