Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Do I need to put anything on chocolate cake before I cover with chocolate fondant?

(8 Posts)
flippyfloppy Wed 01-Jan-14 19:56:32

Thank you all! I'm making cake tonight and will decorate tomorrow. I've never baked before but made a Christmas Cake this year and it was a success! and I loved decorating it. MIL is 70 on a Saturday so I am attempting chocolate cake this time. Yes I think vanilla buttercream sounds good , thanks for all the tips! I'm off to bake x

nannycook Wed 01-Jan-14 16:18:25

flippy, you only need to put a thin layer of buttercream for a crumbcoat before you cover it with fondant , that seals the crumbs and gives the cake a nice even finish under your fondant.

nannycook Wed 01-Jan-14 16:17:48

flippy, you only need to put a thin layer of buttercream for a crumbcoat before you cover it with fondant , that seals the crumbs and gives the cake a nice even finish under your fondant.

msrisotto Wed 01-Jan-14 15:07:04

It might be a nice colour contrast to do white buttercream with chocolate sponge and fondant? S'up to you though.

flippyfloppy Wed 01-Jan-14 14:18:48

Thanks both! I've just thought I'll have to make buttercream to go in the middle anyhow, would you do vanilla buttercream or chocolate ?

msrisotto Wed 01-Jan-14 13:55:17

Apricot jam is vile. I don't care what they say, you can taste it.

Can't go wrong with buttercream.

GinGinGin Wed 01-Jan-14 13:54:01

You'll need something to make it stick to the cake - apricot jam, warmed & brushed over will do. If it's runny chocolate fondant then you'll also need the jam on first. Make sure you cool the cake, then put in fridge or freezer (or bake the day before you ice it) to ensure the cake is firm & won't crumble when you ice it

flippyfloppy Wed 01-Jan-14 13:49:22

A novice here! I'm baking a chocolate cake and I'm going to cover with chocolate fondant do I need to put anything on the cake before I put the fondant on?? Thank you! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now