Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

First time baker... where do I start !?!?

(8 Posts)
mumtosp Mon 30-Dec-13 14:47:03

Hi all,

I've never baked anything - it just isn't a part of the culture where I come from blush. Now I have a DS and I'm very keen to learn how to bake... especially since he is allergic to wheat and I would like to make some occasional wheat free biscuits and cakes for him smile

I would appreciate some tips on where to start?? What do I need to buy? (I have an oven smile ) Don't want to go overboard and just want the some basic stuff to start small...

TIA and have a great New Year ! smile

addictedtosugar Mon 30-Dec-13 15:07:06

Ingredients wise, I'm not sure, as I don't cook wheat free, But I'd assume:
Flours (self rasing and plain) I think Dove farm do gluten (so wheat free, I assume) free flours and baking powders. Maybe ground almonds and rice flour.
Sugar - caster and brown. icing sugar.
Butter and or marge
cocoa powder
Eggs
rasins, chocolate chips, glace cherries, mixed peal, syrup, oats (wheat free or gluten free?)ground ginger depending on what your thinking of cooking.

I think I'd invest in gluten free cooking book, as substituting doesn't always work - think you'd be better starting with proper recipes rather than trying to adapt.

Equipment: some mixing bowls, wooden spoons, scales, maybe measuring cups (depends if you get an americian book or UK one!), cake tin (maybe a pair of 18-30 cm tins), bun cake tray/12 hole tin (and the paper liners), loaf tin if you get keen. A hand held mixer if your feeling committed ( say 10

Will come back if I think of more.

Enjoy the results.

mumtosp Mon 30-Dec-13 15:24:20

Thanks addictedtosugar smile
I'll first start off baking with normal (wheat) ingredients and use DH as a guinea pig and later move on to wheat free cakes once I'm more confident...
I better start shopping smile

mumtosp Mon 30-Dec-13 15:25:05

Also, any specific place where I can buy all the baking tools or any store is fine ?

addictedtosugar Mon 30-Dec-13 16:34:50

Anywhere.
Apart from the wheat free stuff, I'd start in the supermarket for the lot.
Woollies used to do a great range in pyrex bowls etc, so somewhere similar to that might be worth a go?

Were a chocolate house, but a sponge cake and some chocolate chip cookies might be good places to start?

glammanana Mon 30-Dec-13 16:45:24

Type into "google" wheat free baking" and you will find a lot of help and advice,for basic cookery equipment keep a look out at Sainsburys/Morrisons/Asda for their baking trays and cake trays they will all be on offer at the moment,invest in a hand blender or whisk for beating air into your mixes and a set of measuring spoons.Best of Luck and remember they don't always come out as you expect first time so don't give up.

NumNumChristmasPudInMyTum Mon 30-Dec-13 16:55:05

Good basic cookbooks are Delia Complete Cookery Course, and I learned using the Be-Ro cookbook which was one my mum sent off for from the packet of flour. I think Homepride and all the main brands of flour have similar books you can send off for at about £3 each.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now