Help with a tiered birthday cake.

(3 Posts)
nannycook Sun 29-Dec-13 07:17:06

mydream, whatever recipe you use you need to dowel the cake too and always put the 2nd tier on a cake card the same size as the cake first, makes life so much easier.

Snowhoho Sat 28-Dec-13 14:39:54

I would use a recipe such as this, I've used it many times for tiered cakes and it always holds well, especially since with the weight of second tier you don't want it collapsing!

MyDaydream Fri 27-Dec-13 17:20:46

I'm making a two tiered birthday cake next week, one cake tin is 10" the other 8". I want to do a basic vanilla cake with butter cream filling and I'm going to cover it in chocolate ganache.
Can anyone give me a good cake recipe for this, and advice on scaling it up/down for both tins? I've found lots for 8" but have no idea on scaling it up for the 10" tin or how to change the cooking times accordingly.
Also what's the best way to make it tiered? This is my first impressive cake and I really want it to go well. Any help or advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now