To all you bakers a question

(12 Posts)
Evbev Thu 26-Dec-13 20:02:46

Hi I would love opinions. I am very near to purchasing a kenwood chef or a kmix. I can't afford the kitchenaid and don't like the fact it's only 300 watt. I need a mixer for bread/dough mixing and cakes. I was about to get the kmix but wonder would it be any good for dough?

nannycook Thu 26-Dec-13 20:10:33

Well if its any help i bought a KW in May, use it most days although i havn't psstry in it yet, wouldnt be without it.

Do you mean something like kmix vs something like Kenwood Chef?

Don't they basically do the same thing? I have my mum's old Kenwood Chef from about 1980 and it's still doing well (though I don't think my mum used it much). In the last year we have bought a splash guard for it and I definitely recommend having one.

Evbev Fri 27-Dec-13 08:33:32

Yes either a Kmix or a kenwood chef. For making bread

I've also got an 80s KC and really love it. Great for making pastry, cakes, meringues and copes with kneading bread really well. (Although having read Dan Lepard bread making method, I stopped kneading bread about a year ago. It turns out you really don't need to!)

TheCrumpetQueen Fri 27-Dec-13 08:48:35

I have a kmix and its a great mixer plus it looks v nice too

Onefewernow Fri 27-Dec-13 08:53:52

Just bought the kmix 2 weeks ago, after extensive research. I love it.

BUT what do you want to do? Some people will say buy something which takes more extra bits and additions.

I have another gadget for grating and slicing so the kmix suits me very well. And it looks a lot better than the kenwood mixers which do more things.

Inkspellme Fri 27-Dec-13 08:55:25

I have a kenwood chef and love it. Will do anything you need to. I prefer the look of the kitchenaid but quickly dismissed it because of the size of the motor - like you did.

Onefewernow Fri 27-Dec-13 08:58:14

Ps it is brilliant for dough. I made pizzas last Saturday in an hour, including proving.

And it makes amazing huge meringues. Especially if you cook them on a very low heat then leave them overnight in the turned off oven.

Evbev Fri 27-Dec-13 09:04:40

that sounds good! I had bought the magimix years ago and it used to start to 'walk' across the counter when mixing dough so the kmix would be for that and for cakes. So whichever is stronger. Yes the kitchenaid has a very low motor.

Onefewernow Sat 28-Dec-13 18:34:37

Actually my other gadget is the big magimix- had it a decade. Yup, you need the kmix !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now