Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Pudding disaster - any rescue?

(5 Posts)
maggiethecat Thu 19-Dec-13 09:56:23

xmas pudding was on for 6 hours yesterday - came out looking like bread pudding with the centre uncooked.
Read that it could be that water entered. Any chance of rescue? or is that a waste of energy?

StainlessSteelCat Thu 19-Dec-13 13:16:00

how big is your pud? Mine is roughly 2 pints, needs 7-9 hours, and another couple of hours on the day. If you do want to try more cooking, cover with greaseproof paper (with pleat), tie down with string, then cover with foil (another pleat) and tie that down with string - that should make it watertight. Mine have had splashes on, and steam (due to me being lazy and using ill fitting lids instead of foil), and even been dropped back in, never had disaster (yet .... )

maggiethecat Thu 19-Dec-13 13:50:48

same size but problem is the texture - not sure that once it become bread pudding like it makes sense to continue steaming

DoingItForMyself Thu 19-Dec-13 13:53:30

I always remember my mum's puddings looking quite unpromising after the first steam, its not until the last few hours that they darken and 'come together' rather than just being lots of separate ingredients.

I'd say its a waste not to try, after the previous 6 hours steaming and all the ingredients, another couple of hours is worth a shot (& buy one in just case it doesn't work!)

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Thu 19-Dec-13 13:55:44

Nigella says in Feast that more steaming makes it more moist and delicious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now