I need to make a silver cake - help?

(20 Posts)
sadsqueaker Sat 14-Dec-13 17:09:55

Thank you, blush.

It's all gone now!

nannycook Sat 14-Dec-13 12:58:54

Brilliant.

sadsqueaker Thu 12-Dec-13 23:48:23

I don't want to give you a cricked neck, so here's the flipped version! He's a bit jowly for a Cyberman.

sadsqueaker Thu 12-Dec-13 23:24:15

Bloody hell that was hard work!
I'm so knackered that I can't be bothered to rotated the pic grin

I used grey icing and lustre spray when finished.

Hawkmoth Tue 10-Dec-13 23:23:57

I did one but I can't for the life of me find a picture. I did just do a head with 'handles' and covered it in grey fondant with silver spray. Used black to make the eyes and DD was very please with it. If I find the picture I will post it. Sad to have lost it really.

BeaWheesht Tue 10-Dec-13 23:08:32

Ooh great Dalek

sadsqueaker Tue 10-Dec-13 20:28:33

That is probably nudging the upper end of my ability with fondant icing Bea, blush but God (and DS1) loves a trier, so I have printed a copy of that and will see how it goes. I think I'll follow the advice here and make the fondant grey before spraying it.
Anyway, this was my effort for DS2 last month, so I don't think DS1 is expecting perfection! That icing was mostly G&B white choc so it tasted better than it looks.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Tue 10-Dec-13 19:45:40

light grey fondant (white with blob of black would be perfect)
with shimmer spray makes the perfect silver

or light yellow with shimmer spray makes the perfect gold.

Lustredust would make a big mess lol. A spray is your best bet, but colouring it grey first will make a big difference

BeaWheesht Tue 10-Dec-13 19:37:42
BeaWheesht Tue 10-Dec-13 19:35:24

Thanks all - I'm using fondant rather than buttercream because I can't never spread buttercream completely smooth and it kind of needs to be for the design to work.

So no-one thinks lustre dust would help?

I'm leaning towards black ready to roll blob kneaded into white......

Someone remind me why I didn't just steer ds towards the cake aisle in Tesco??

DontCallMeDaughter Tue 10-Dec-13 18:55:45

You can also buy silver sugarpaste...

Beau Sugarpaste

BikeRunSki Tue 10-Dec-13 18:52:01

Mil has used edible silver paint in the past.

sadsqueaker Tue 10-Dec-13 18:47:41

Ooh, can I just muscle in and ask if anyone has tips on making a cyberman cake? I was planning on just a roundish head, with those weird 'handles' on the side, covered in fondant and sprayed silver. The pics that come up when I googled for inspiration all looked very professional.

nannycook Tue 10-Dec-13 18:32:48

Bea i think your 2nd option looks the best, i had to make a shark cake few months and i coloured the white grey with abit of black paste, but if you want a sparkly cake defo abit of spray.

HeisenbergsHat Tue 10-Dec-13 17:16:34

I hope the picture loads - it's not perfectly decorated but the silver looks good grin

5HundredUsernamesLater Tue 10-Dec-13 17:14:12

I used a silver spray on some peppa pig moon biscuits and they did look silver. Can't remember what make it was though, sorry.

HeisenbergsHat Tue 10-Dec-13 17:13:49

When I did a silver cake I coloured the buttercream with a bit of black first to make it grey and then sprayed the silver over that, just in case the silver didn't cover properly. It looked great - it was a pirate sword for DS's birthday last year.

BeaWheesht Tue 10-Dec-13 17:09:19

I was going to use white ready rolled icing with the silver shimmer spray but it will still look white but sparkly iyswim?

Is there a better way? Maybe add a wee bit black fondant to a lot of white? Make it grey and then spray?

Or use lustre powder? If so how much?

Thanks in advance, I need to make the cake tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now