Does anyone have a good, moist fairycake/cupcake recipe?

(7 Posts)
AlpacaPicnic Wed 04-Dec-13 22:12:25

My little cakes always seem to be dry... I need to make a large amount for a bake sale at work and would love a nice base for the festive decorations I am going to heap on top!

Mogz Wed 04-Dec-13 22:44:15

If you're using a regular sponge recipe and it is going dry try cooking for about 2 mins less, that should help keep them moist. Or add a splash of milk to the batter mix.

bacon Fri 06-Dec-13 23:55:37

Look for a recipe that contains yoghurt or almonds these will make a lovely moist cake over the run of the mill bland mix. Look for any recipe doesnt have to be cupcakes.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10860/easy-vanilla-cake just alter the mix to the amount of cakes you want to make.

I agree with both Mogz and bacon. Peyton & Byrne cake recipes often include yogurt. The Guardian "how to make the perfect..." articles are really good. Try www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/jul/08/perfect-fairy-cakes.

blueberrycupcake Sat 07-Dec-13 01:17:01

Any of the recipes from the primrose hill bakery recipe book work really well. My favourite is carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese icing.

AlpacaPicnic Mon 09-Dec-13 00:05:58

Thank you! I've found a recipe that includes buttermilk so I'm hoping that will have the same effect as a yoghurty recipe... Oh no! All this cake eating... My sad, sad life!

moonsl Mon 09-Dec-13 14:03:41

if you are using the 125g recipes for 12 buns, you can add 2 tablespoons of milk to the mixture and it makes slightly fluffier buns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now