Filling for rainbow cake

(9 Posts)
MikeLitoris Thu 05-Dec-13 17:46:07

Thats great.

You need to try it with chocolate cake. It tastes even better.

BringOn2014 Thu 05-Dec-13 15:37:42

Thank you so much Mike thanks I have to admit I wasnt sure how it was going to turn out but it was perfect and definitely a new family favourite! grin

lyndie Wed 04-Dec-13 15:53:37

That looks lovely - could you tell me what you did measurement wise for the cup of butter and sugar? A teacup? Something bigger? Or do you have a weight in mind of butter and sugar?

stephenisjustcoming Wed 04-Dec-13 15:47:08

I make cooked flour frosting all the time now - it's delicious. Not too sweet but really creamy and light, not cloying like icing sugar + butter. Granulated sugar really is the key, though. Something magic happens to it, obviously.

MikeLitoris Tue 03-Dec-13 21:01:33

Surprisingly not!

BringOn2014 Tue 03-Dec-13 20:28:15

Thanks Mike I'll definitely give it a shot. You definitely think to try it with granulated sugar though, wasnt it crunchy? grin

MikeLitoris Tue 03-Dec-13 18:17:04

http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2010/03/a-tasty-recipe-thats-the-best-frosting-ive-ever-had/

The first time I tried it I used caster sugar and it wasnt that nice. Did it again with granulated sugar and a drop of pure vanilla and it was gorgeous. I'm not keen on overly sweet icing either.

MikeLitoris Tue 03-Dec-13 18:13:35

There is one that can be made with flour. Siunds grim but it it lovely. Ill see if I can link to it.

BringOn2014 Tue 03-Dec-13 18:11:11

I'm making a rainbow cake for DHs birthday tomorrow, did a practice run last week with 4 layers and it turned out well but I used buttercream inbetween all the layers and it was a bit too sweet.
DH doesnt like cream cheese frosting so what are the other options? I read about some icing with egg whites but is it difficult to do? Im not good at the technical stuff and I was wondering if it is actually much less sweet than the buttercream.
Or I was thinking about alternating jam and buttercream layers, would that work?
Any ideas greatly received smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now