Princess castle cake

(12 Posts)

DD wants a princess castle cake for her birthday - and I have said I will make her one. I'm an ok baker though don't usually decorate (as no one likes icing).

I need a cake big enough for 15 children and it apparently has to be square and pink according to DD.

When searching internet I've found American recipes which all refer to boxed cake mixtures. Does anyone have a recipe?

Thanks

Screamqueen Sat 30-Nov-13 11:39:20

I used this recipe www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10860/easy-vanilla-cake

Check out the picture on my profile, I made a smaller L shaped one and put it on top, covered it all in icing and made a small castle out of cake that I covered in buttercream, isce cream cones for turrets. I bought the Disney Princess figures off of Ebay. I was really pleased with it!

You could just make square cakes and pile them on top of each other to get the height you want, cover it in pink buttercream.

Thanks for that. Yes I was thinking a square cake covered in buttercream and maybe princess faces at the windows. The ice cream cones is a good idea.

How was the cake - it looks quite sweet with the vanilla syrup?

SavoyCabbage Sat 30-Nov-13 12:40:25

I've made this twice and the second time I used bought Swiss rolls for the towers which were much more successful. I also used ice cream cones and I shoved wooden skewers through for flag poles and put the sweets off one of those bracelets on them.

Did you use the vanilla sponge recipe as well SavoyCabbage? Sounds a good idea using Swiss rolls for towers though. Thanks for all the tips!

SavoyCabbage Sat 30-Nov-13 20:51:48

I think I used Nigella's chocolate brownie for the bottom! My theory there was that the party guests would eat the towers and I didn't want to have an enormous cake that wouldn't get eaten. It's such a big cake overall. The children never eat the cake at a party. They just lick the icing off.

Screamqueen Sat 30-Nov-13 23:19:36

Its lovely, it was recommended on here ages ago and I like it because it doesn't sink and holds the weight of everything else.

Smartiepants79 Sat 30-Nov-13 23:21:54

Here's the one I made for my DD in the summer.
Cones work brilliantly.

glowgirl Sun 01-Dec-13 17:47:47

This is just so good smile

Moomoomie Sun 01-Dec-13 17:51:45

That easy vanilla cake is my cake of choice too.
Have made a castle cake similar to smartiepants using Swiss rolls and ice cream cones then just covered it all with buttercream, decorated with dolly mixtures and smarties.

Picture if the finished cake - DD loved it!

Thanks for the advice.

Wow! It looked lovely, no wonder your DD loved it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now