Icing for a chocolate cake my kids might like?

(22 Posts)
LaTrucha Wed 27-Nov-13 10:21:24

I want to make a chocolate cake at Christmas but my children don't like any of the chocolate icings I've done for them in the past. They particularly don't like anything with cream in. Any ideas?

noblegiraffe Wed 27-Nov-13 10:22:36

Melt some dairy milk and coat the cake in it. Everyone likes dairy milk smile

HeisenbergsHat Wed 27-Nov-13 10:23:54

The chocolate icing from this Nigella recipe is popular with my kids. It's very sweet but I rather like it too.

HeisenbergsHat Wed 27-Nov-13 10:24:32

I use the Nigella icing to sandwich the cakes together too because I don't like buttercream.

bundaberg Wed 27-Nov-13 10:24:39

well i was going to say ganache which is delish, but that has cream in. although how would they ever know???
it's also less sickly than buttercream

i would let them go without, or eat the cake and leave the icing. but i'm mean like that wink

LaTrucha Wed 27-Nov-13 10:26:50

Melted dairy milk sounds right up their street!

Thanks for the Nigella too. I'm sure I'll have the chance to try both.

bundaberg - they wouldn't know it was cream they were eating, just that they didn't like it. Anything at all with cream in, sweet or savoury, gets a complete no from everyone in my family. sad

bundaberg Wed 27-Nov-13 10:28:39

more for you then grin

LaTrucha Wed 27-Nov-13 10:29:27

I was wondering if there was anything a bit crucnhcy like a toffeeish one I do for another cake (although my kids won't eat that one as it does have cream)

AbiRoad Wed 27-Nov-13 10:32:18

MY DCs dont like very chocolatey chocolate cakes. There is a Nigella recipe for chocolate malteser cake which they love. The icing has a slighlty malty taste and is not too chocolatey- contains butter, icing, milk, cocoa and horlicks as far as I can recall. Cake also contains horlicks but i think you could use the icing on a normal chocolate cake.

LaTrucha Wed 27-Nov-13 10:37:24

I think I've seen that one. I'll look it up. My children like the plainest of the plain, and I'm trying to find something nice enough for adult family which they can join in with and enjoy too.

bundaberg Wed 27-Nov-13 10:41:00

what about making something like a chocolate bundt cake? and just dusting with icing sugar?

LaTrucha Wed 27-Nov-13 12:16:44

Good idea. Might be lusting after one of those beautiful christams tree moulds if I decide to though.

tethersend Wed 27-Nov-13 12:18:15

Coconut buttercream is delicious on a chocolate cake.

cloudskitchen Wed 27-Nov-13 12:20:49

Just thought I'd mention that melted chocolate on cakes can bloom and take on that whitish film.

You can make a kind of ganache with evaporated milk. it tastes good and lasts longer out of the fridge.

LaTrucha Wed 27-Nov-13 18:28:41

There has to be a reason people don't do it, I suppose!

elsielegallez Wed 27-Nov-13 23:04:14

I made this chocolate buttercream for a four year old birthday cake - they all loved it!

bruffin Fri 29-Nov-13 14:37:49

What about an american frosting.

LaTrucha Sat 30-Nov-13 16:01:16

Thanks for the buttercream icing recipe. what is an american frosting, please?

bruffin Sat 30-Nov-13 16:34:15

Its a meringue type frosting. I used to make a devils food cake covered in it.

1 egg white
175g icing sugar
1 tablespoon golden syrp
3 tablespoons water
pinch salt
1teaspoon lemon juice
place all ingredients in a bowl over a saucepan of hot water. Whisk until it stands up in peaks
Remove from heat and carry on whisking until it has cooled.
You need to use it straight away as it starts setting straight away

LaTrucha Sun 01-Dec-13 18:32:03

Thanks for posting the recipe. Very kind. Lots to try. Thanks very much.

barleysugar Sun 01-Dec-13 18:35:36

I recently discovered a simple fudge topping, 1/2 can condensed milk, 100g chocolate, 75g butter, melted in a pan then left to cool until spreadable. It's not too sickly sweet, just fudgey and delicious!

LoveSewingBee Mon 02-Dec-13 21:34:51

BBC website has a nice and simple recipe for chocolate icing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now