Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Why is this going wrong?

(8 Posts)
FarOverTheRainbow Thu 14-Nov-13 18:18:10

I'm trying to make this pudsey cake from BBc good food website

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spotty-pudsey-cake?cm_mmc=ExactTarget-_-email-_-Good_food_newsletter_363_2013_11_13-_-email&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=Good_food_newsletter_363_2013_11_13

It says cook for 15-18min. Mines been in 30 min and is still completely gooey in the middle? Why?

I've followed it as it's said but it won't set??

The recipe itself seems to have some issues if you look at the review.

How hot is your oven? Should be 180deg (170 for fan oven) how deep are your tins? My 2 inch deep ones take 35-40mins.

Rooble Thu 14-Nov-13 18:22:52

Had you pre-heated the oven?

gaggiagirl Thu 14-Nov-13 18:23:06

Keep it in the oven til its cooked. Could your oven thermostat be on the blink?

FarOverTheRainbow Thu 14-Nov-13 18:26:50

What flaws are there? I like to bake but I'm not great at it hmm

Yeh I pre heated the oven, maybe my Tins aren't the right size confused not sure.

It's been in the oven 40 min and its cooked but the top is a bit too "tanned" for my liking

ouryve Thu 14-Nov-13 18:30:40

The time and temperature given are more appropriate for buns. For a sandwich cake, I'd expect it to take 25-30 minutes at 180. I always use the conventional, rather than the fan, setting for cakes, as it gives a more even bake.

FarOverTheRainbow Thu 14-Nov-13 18:31:32

I did thinknit didn't seem long but thought 40 min was a little to much but I don't really know what I'm on about

FarOverTheRainbow Thu 14-Nov-13 21:51:18

Well it didn't turn out like I wanted at all, slightly over baked and the hundreds and thousands lost there colour so were like like crunchy things everywhere but it tasted quite good so I'm just going to pig out on some grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now