Why did my cake fall?

(18 Posts)
itshowwedo Sat 09-Nov-13 15:22:14

It's a Nigella buttermilk birthday cake. I mixed it in my new Magimix. Did I over mix? Too little baking powder? Too much liquid? Very sad result! Pic in profile and hopefully here too! Grateful for suggestions - another layer is baking now.

MisForMumNotMaid Sat 09-Nov-13 15:29:51

Did you peep during baking?

It looks as though the sides have risen okay but middle has sunk which could suggest not being cooked long enough or not finishing baking. The colour would indicate the temp might have been a little high.

Maybe bake longer at a slightly lower temp.

itshowwedo Sat 09-Nov-13 15:31:46

Normally I'd agree, but this had 1 hour at Gas Mark 4 a
- recipe recommends 40 mins. Oven is naff though... sad

ShatnersBassoon Sat 09-Nov-13 15:32:34

Is it baked fully in the centre? Like pp said, a slower, cooler bake might have been needed.

itshowwedo Sat 09-Nov-13 15:32:52

Sorry should said - skewer came out clean.

schmalex Sat 09-Nov-13 15:34:37

I'd get an oven thermometer and check your oven temp. I haven't tried this recipe though, and sometimes Nigella's timings can be unreliable.

hermioneweasley Sat 09-Nov-13 15:35:05

Too much raising agent can cause cakes to rise and collapse. Also, opening oven before 3/4 of the bake is done. Either of those a possible culprit?

Doesn't really matter though, cover in icing and nobody will know!

MisForMumNotMaid Sat 09-Nov-13 15:36:48

If the skewer is clean and your confident its cooked as a layer cake couldn't you just flip it and use as the top layer?

blue2 Sat 09-Nov-13 15:38:23

I'd flip it over and use the base as the top - as long as its cooked in the middle.

itshowwedo Sat 09-Nov-13 15:42:03

There's actually a slightly raised bit in the middle. Pretty sure it's done. It'll be rather dense I'm afraid.

I opened the door after 40 mins so it's possible... And i agree about Nigella's timings. I was careful with the baking powder though. The batter was a tad liquid...

itshowwedo Sat 09-Nov-13 15:43:06

I hate baking slip ups. I'm usually luckier than this. grin

MisForMumNotMaid Sat 09-Nov-13 15:53:37

Have you doubled up the recipe as it looks quite big?

Its just with a basic sponge recipe I use 1 egg, 2oz of flour, sugar, fat. If i'm doing cup cakes I add a tablespoon of milk. If I'm doing petit fours I make that nearer two tablespoons. So logic would suggest if you double quantities as one cake you'd reduce liquid a little.

Another possibility if its done the volcano thing - risen and then collapsed (the raised bit in the middle could suggest this) is too much raising agent.

Did you leave the mixture after mixing whilst you heated the oven or greased/ lined the tin etc?

Sometimes they just come out a bit odd. You can use a recipe 10 times with perfect results and then get an odd one.

itshowwedo Sat 09-Nov-13 16:03:58

I just baked straight away. It did rise and only fell when I took it out after an hour. I wonder if it is a raising agent problem. In some ways I hope not because then layer 2 will be the same!

itshowwedo Sat 09-Nov-13 16:30:07

Number two is fine! I honestly think I might have over beaten.

Wuldric Sat 09-Nov-13 16:34:26

It's not you. It's nigella. Honestly, none of her. Recipes turn out. I don't think she tries them out before publishing.

itshowwedo Sat 09-Nov-13 16:40:20

But Nigella and I usually do fine together. Maybe it's the end of a lovely relationship!

nannycook Sat 09-Nov-13 22:58:46

Its, I agree, I can make one cake which turns out bad, make another exactly the same and is fine. Odd!!

Over-mixing definitely a possibility.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now