Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Non crappy cake cases?!

(13 Posts)
hallowisitmeyourelookingfor Sun 03-Nov-13 20:25:02

Can anyone steer me towards some cake cases which don't turn all greasy and see through when they've come out of the oven please? I'm fed up of spending money on pretty patterned ones when it all disappears!

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 03-Nov-13 20:30:41

The other option is buy cheap and plain, bake in those and then cover in the pretty ones before decorating.

Molecule Sun 03-Nov-13 20:45:08

It's hit and miss I'm afraid. Doesn't matter what you pay, some work and some don't and it drives me mad. Sainsbury's appear to work OK, but now I always try them out before making anything special.

hallowisitmeyourelookingfor Sun 03-Nov-13 20:46:18

I did try that once before, but the outer case sort of fanned out and looked flappy!

hallowisitmeyourelookingfor Sun 03-Nov-13 20:51:32

Sainsburys are the ones I use most often, maybe it's my poor baking skills!

BabyClam Sun 03-Nov-13 20:59:23

The brown muffin cases in Asda are really good and cheap.
The Lakeland ones are greaseproof but pricey.

Molecule Sun 03-Nov-13 21:09:41

Sainsbury's probably get them from many different suppliers, some good some not ( mine must have been from the good ones). I agree Lakeland plain ones are good, but I've had some truly awful pretty ones from them, the cakes came out almost dripping grease. I'm planning on clearing out my baking cupboard tomorrow so will try to ascertain which are good and let you know.

hallowisitmeyourelookingfor Sun 03-Nov-13 21:17:21

Thankyou, I have ordered a few of the Lakeland greaseproof ones so i'll see how they work out. They were only plain though, couldn't see any patterned ones.

elsielegallez Sun 03-Nov-13 21:46:44

I find that Culpitt are the best - more pricey but reliable and worth the money.

nannycook Sun 03-Nov-13 22:04:22

Now i found the culpit cases were the worst i'd ever used, started to come away as soon as i took them out of the oven, so i bought some foil ones, so so much better, not cheap but then the culpit arent either.

Molecule Mon 04-Nov-13 14:00:50

Have now cleared out some of my baking cupboard.... at least the cupcake bit. I can report that these are very good, and retain their prettiness after baking. The utterly usless ones I bought from Lakeland were made by this company - very pretty till the cakes were baked then the patterns couldn't be seen for grease.

Have to concur with elsie that Culpitt have mostly been reliable, but I think it is all a bit hit and miss, and I've had disasters with foil as well, sometimes the foil delaminating from the paper liner.

Edendance Mon 04-Nov-13 19:05:08

Foil ones never go see-through as theyre totally opaque- like tin foil. I tend to stick with them now, despite having a ridiculous amount of every pattern under the sun!

hallowisitmeyourelookingfor Mon 04-Nov-13 21:59:00

Thanks for your help, I will see how I get on with the Lakeland ones before ordering any more though, I already have around 10 other boxes in the cupboard!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now