Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Which Christmas cake recipe are you using this year/do you recommend?

(7 Posts)
PennySillin Sun 03-Nov-13 16:20:32

Last year a did a bit of a google search for a fab Xmas cake recipe and ended being very disappointed with "the best Christmas cake ever". So this year I am going to rely on the expertise of mumsnet.

nannycook Sun 03-Nov-13 17:43:02

penny, i use a nice one which doubles up as my recipe for wedding cake i make, used this one in June and july for a wedding cake and last week i made two cakes for xmas using the same, its the Alan Dunn, never had any complaints, the only addition i add is i like my cakes really dark in colour so i add quite abit of gravy browning.

elsielegallez Sun 03-Nov-13 18:29:39

This is the one that I have made for the last couple of years - it's delicious! It's very moist and full of flavour! thecaketrail.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/christmas-cake.html

Taffeta Sun 03-Nov-13 18:30:52

Delia. There is no other recipe.

<gavel>

Yorky Sun 03-Nov-13 19:00:42

Delia.
www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/baking/how-to-make-a-christmas-cake.html
Enjoy smile

BTW, use more the 3 stingy tbsps of brandy to soak the fruit, and feel free to leave it longer than overnight!

ILikeToClean Sun 03-Nov-13 19:10:50

Last year I did the Simmer and Stir Christmas cake from the BBC Good Food website. It was really easy and even my DDs ate it! Will be doing it again this year.

cakewitch Sat 16-Nov-13 23:11:40

Agree. delia. but you must wrap tin well in wet newspaper to avoid overcooking, and always cook for less time than she says.More brandy for soaking too. shes stingy with the booze, bless her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now