Boiling Oranges - GBBO - Mary Berry

(17 Posts)
lookoveryourshouldernow Fri 01-Nov-13 23:58:01

I was watching a GBBO programme tonight where Mary Berry boiled an orange and then whizzed it up to add to icing and a cake (I think)....

Has anyone tried this - I have some leftover oranges which I need to use up and was thinking of whizzing one up and using it to flavour a chocolate cake - is this a good idea or would it be too overpowering..

If the recipe just calls for the zest how would I adjust the ingredients bearing in mind that the result orange whizz mix is more liquid ???

Also - do you know if you can freeze said "mush" to use for a future cooking date ??

Thanks..

nannycook Sat 02-Nov-13 12:50:32

I saw that the other night and boiled my orange last night to do today. I saw exactly the same thing done last yr in the NEC a chef did it as a demonstration.

lookoveryourshouldernow Sat 02-Nov-13 22:56:29

Let me know how it goes - my oranges are still sitting on the side awaiting their fate !!!

QuintesKabooom Sat 02-Nov-13 22:57:54

The coolest thing to do with a leftover orange is to soak it in liquid nitrogen and then attack it with a sledge hammer.

Crikeyblimey Sat 02-Nov-13 22:58:38

I made a fab orange cake by boiling up the oranges and whizzing them to a pulp.

It was Nigella's Clemantine cake (but I used oranges). If you like almonds, google it - it was amazing.

jellyfl00d Sat 02-Nov-13 23:03:39

I've made a choc orange cake by whiz zing a boiled orange to a pulp, it's fab, all ingredients get whizzed, v easy & hassle free. if you need a recipe I can upload it tomorrow, it's a real crowd pleaser smile

lookoveryourshouldernow Sun 03-Nov-13 00:28:14

...Yes please - any recipe to "recycle" these oranges would be good..

They have been threatened with the bin - so a stay of execution would be good - I hate waste... sod the fact that I may poison my family in the process !!!

TwoStepsBeyond Sun 03-Nov-13 00:49:13

Sounds good, place marking for the recipe.

nannycook Sun 03-Nov-13 07:32:50

The recipe Mary Berry used was a simple 8oz victoria sponge mix, init tho she added a tsp of cininman an a tsp of mixed spice , to that she added 3quaters of the orange pulp and put in two 8inch sandwich tin ,cooked it for 30 mins, she then put the rest of the pulp in the buttercream an sandwich together, it did look lovely to be honest.

moreyear Sun 03-Nov-13 07:57:13

Most boiled orange cakes derive from Claudia Roden's Orange and Almond Cake.

http://www.lovefood.com/guide/recipes/11389/claudia-rodens-orange-and-almond-cake
It's one of the oldest cake recipes in the world, I think she wrote it was from the Sephardic Jewish tribes originally and it is absolutely delicious.

You could definitely freeze the pulp.

I made this cake on thurs after watching the master class. It was really lovely, everyone said so (took it to family gathering). But every bugger said "lovely carrot cake" hmm. Even I had to admit that despite there not being a carrot in sight, the combination of spices and density of the cake made it taste exactly like a carrot cake. Would do it again though, it was dead easy and lovely.

Recipe here as I had to type it up.

Spiced Whole Orange cake

1 orange boiled for 30 mins till soft then whizzed (2 tbsp for icing)
4 eggs
275g sr flour
2 level tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinamon
1 tsp mixed spice
275g stork
275g caster sugar

2 x 20cm cake tins
160 fan 30-35 mins ish

50g butter - beat till fluffy
175g icing sugar
250g full fat marscapone
Whisk together then add orange

Jaynebxl Sun 03-Nov-13 08:09:05

More is right. Even Nigella uses Claudia's recipe for her clementine cake. I've made it and it's lovely. Just remember to keep an eye on the boiling oranges and don't let them boil dry and go black and hard like mine did

Trumpton Sun 03-Nov-13 08:17:13

I stab my oranges or clementines and stick them in the microwave . Anything from 2 mins depending on the size . Check after 1 min tho.

Jaynebxl Sun 03-Nov-13 09:35:15

Ooh Trumpton do they come out soft enough to liquidise then?

jellyfl00d Sun 03-Nov-13 13:27:48

ok here goes, simple chocolate orange cake:

1 orange
6 eggs
1 heaped tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
200g ground almonds
250g caster sugar
50g cocoa

Oven 180C Gas 4

1)Butter & line 20cm loose bottom tin
2)Put orange in pan, cover with cold water, bring to boil, cook for 1 1/2 hrs or until soft. Drain, when cut in half to help cool. Place in food processor & blitz, cool further if needed.
3)Add eggs, baking powder, bicarb soda, almonds, sugar, cocoa to the orange, blitz/blend again to well mixed, (scrape down the sides at least once during this, so nothing gets left behind).
4)Pour into tin, bake 1 hour, but check after 45mins in and lower oven to 160 for the last 15mins.
5)Leave cake to cool in tin, serve with thick double cream/ creme fraiche.
Voila.

Very easy & very rewarding

Trumpton Sun 03-Nov-13 14:36:13

Yes indeed they do come out soft enough. I never boil them. I made Nigella's clementine cake and it was lovely. ( puts on baking list for this year )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now