Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

How to ice a crumbly half-stuck-to-tin ring cake

(7 Posts)
sergeantmajor Fri 01-Nov-13 11:39:46

So I baked an almond ring cake for a special occasion, planning just to do a few dribbles of water-based icing over the top. But it came out the tin in a terrible state, lots of 'bald' patches where half of it was left behind in the tin. So now I think it needs some serious camouflage.
Not sure if butter icing would look sophisticated enough for the occasion, and can't see how I could successfully drape roll-out icing round a ring. do you think a chocolate ganache would do it? Any other suggestions? Never made one before so any tips welcome.

sergeantmajor Fri 01-Nov-13 14:35:49

Or meringue style icing? Could this work? Any tips? (slight note of desperation creeping in...)

DontCallMeDaughter Fri 01-Nov-13 14:39:43

Ganache is really simple, same weight of choc as mls of double cream (i.e. 300g of choc to 300ml of cream).

Chop choc into small pieces/grate whatever is easier, but it's important to get it into small pieces so it melts evenly. Heat cream in a pan till it's nearly boiling then pour cream over choc and stir till it's nice and smooth. It will take a couple of hrs to cool enough to pour and stick to your cake!

Will look lovely!

tb Fri 01-Nov-13 18:09:49

If you can retrieve the stuck bits off the tin, and then stick them back with a little warmed apricot jam, then this might help even up the surface.

MaureenMLove England Fri 01-Nov-13 18:25:24

I think I would smother it in the water based icing, so it's all completely covered and white, then stick it in the fridge to firm up.

Then, drizzle a chocolate flavoured icing over it in lines, if you know what I mean!

rachyconks Fri 01-Nov-13 18:26:43

I would do exactly what Maureen says. I think anything else would look odd.

MaureenMLove England Fri 01-Nov-13 18:28:23

Kinda like this

So, white icing all over first, set it, the chocolate drizzled. Personally, I wouldn't do quite this much. Looks messy, but hopefully more understandable!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now