Cakes for Fundraising

(15 Posts)

I don't like it but Tiffin sells well and doesn't need an oven.

CharlieAlphaKiloEcho Tue 12-Nov-13 10:27:08

I always make rocky road for ours and they go very well and don't need an oven.

One of the best things I ever got was a mini loaf tray. It's silicon and makes ten mini loaves. I tend to mix a triple amount of plain sponge and then flavour it differently - coffee and walnuts, lemon juice and zest, dried strawberries and white chocolate, choc chips, pecans and maple syrup etc Some need icing and some won't.

I also do a whole batch of mini carrot loaves to. You can get mini boxes from lakeland to put them in but I don't usually bother which keeps the cost down.

They always go very well.

I got my tray from ebay and I'm very tempted to get another one to speed up the process.

tb Mon 11-Nov-13 11:20:45

I sold cakes at a car boot sale in darkest rural France. The things that sold well were
Millionaire's shortbread
Malteser tiffin
Ginger biscuits
Lemon drizzle - done as a loaf in an oblong foil take away type thing
Ginger cake

Cornflake choc things didn't sell. At all.

BackforGood Sun 27-Oct-13 12:39:55

Ooh! Thanks TicTac - that's a new one for us, and I like the fact they turn out delicious every time smile

Thanks again ladies - all really helpful.
Anymore from the daytime people ?

TicTacZebra Sun 27-Oct-13 08:56:21

Nutella cakes.

About a cup of nutella
2 eggs
About 10 tablespoons of self raising flour

In the oven for about 15 mins.

Top with melted chocolate.

You don't need to be accurate with the measurements, they always turn out perfect and taste delicious.

prettybird Sun 27-Oct-13 08:52:25

I have to do double or triple quantities of the chocolate chip cookie recipe - the only thing wrong with it is that the original recipe doesn't make that many. grin

olivo Sun 27-Oct-13 07:23:24

I either do fairy cakes, white icing with various sprinkles or toppers, or crispy cakes made with Mars bars, then with a few smarties on the top. Always go down well.

Habbibu Sun 27-Oct-13 07:06:05

I'm going to say Nigella again for brownies - both the domestic goddess and Kitchen recipes are good. I'be made Dan Lepard's carrot cake as a tray bake before, with his cream cheese icing.http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2007/nov/24/foodanddrink.baking37 I skip the pistachios, which makes it cheaper. Also Nigella's coca cola cake, in cupcake form, with chocolate icing decorated with a single cola bottle has been popular. Domestic goddess book really handy for this.

BackforGood Sun 27-Oct-13 00:06:52

Thanks ladies - I can look up the Nigella recipe for the ginger + lemon cake, thanks for the pointer, Habbibu. Any tips for a foolproof Brownie recipe?

Now I know the MN recipe for choc chip cookies is good, I can look that up too, thanks prettybird - doesn't matter they are not cakes, I probably should have said "bakesale" but I wanted to include things I didn't have to bake grin

Blondie - although I love it, I've never made millionaires - always seems a bit time consuming to me, with having to make shortbread, then fudgey/caramely layer, then chocolate... am wondering if it's a good return on time invested?

Thank Ruprekt - In the past we've always done "fairy cakes that appeal to children" with coloured sprinkles or chocolate buttons. That's def. where I'm starting from (should have said in OP, sorry), just looking for other things as well

Dilidali - Interesting.... but, in your experience, is the "profit" from a whole cake anywhere near the "profit" from slices, or small cakes?

Any more thoughts, very, very welcome smile

Dilidali Sat 26-Oct-13 23:31:42

LDC.
Last mcmillan coffee morning, people were buying the whole cake, skip the slice.

Ruprekt Sat 26-Oct-13 23:30:53

Fairy cakes
White icing
Selection of toppings

Will be a sell out.smilesmile

Blondie1984 Sat 26-Oct-13 23:27:53

Millionaires shortbread always sells well

prettybird Sat 26-Oct-13 23:19:22

Chocolate chip cookies go down well. I know they're not cakes though! grin

The Mumsnet recipe is a good one - although I increase the chocolate and use of a mix of plain, milk and white chocolate (from Lidl) which I chop muslef and use Stork rather than butter, which makes it nice and quick and easy to make any time.

Habbibu Sat 26-Oct-13 22:18:22

Brownies usually sell well, and kids usually go for garish cupcakes. Nigella's fresh ginger cake with lemon icing is lovely, and improves with keeping. Chocolate cakes in general go well and again are better made ahead of time, and wrapped up.

BackforGood Sat 26-Oct-13 22:12:43

Hi all, What cakes would you make if you were having a cakesale as a fundraiser ?
I'm thinking a combination of some that could be made before the previous day, some the previous day, and, ideally some that didn't need the oven, as we want to make a table full, but will be using a kitchen with just one oven.
It would be really helpful if you could post a recipe if you have a foolproof good one, as neither our krispie cakes nor our 'biscuit/fridge' cake efforts have been that successful blush
Obviously better if they don't use masses of expensive ingredients as the idea is to raise lots of money, not impress a future MiL or anything grin
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now